am i poaching birds????

No such thing as poaching birds unless you are shooting them on his ground. Just gamekeeper's excuses for losing their birds.

If a keeper can't keep his birds on his place then that is his fault, not yours, and he will just be looking for a excuses for failing to do his job. Crack on and tell him to do his job better

You show by this statement what little knowledge and understanding you have of the countryside. There are many keepers, part time keepers and DIY keepers such as myself that work there guts out to produce some of the best shooting in the world. You also show what little knowledge you have of the pheasant, it will walk a mile before it flys an inch, it's in there nature and the best keeper in the world will never stop this all we can do is point them in the right direction for as long as possible. It's ignorant narrow minded people such as you that make the job 10 times harder. Your better to work with the keepers rather than against them you would benefit in the long run.

Mike555 I do not think you are poaching if your only shooting 30 and your are putting in the effort with the habitat improvements. As said before tho invite next door round for a natter, keep them on side. Rich1985

rich1985, from your pathetic insults i would say you are the narrow minded one. I am a keeper of 8 years and have 2 neighbours who feed without releasing anything, so before you pigeon-hole me as an idiot, maybe consider i am just of a different mind set.
I would never have a word with those farms or consider telling them to stop feeding, they are entitled to do what they want on their land.

Birds are wild and they will go where they please , I am sure you neighbour will also shoot birds that have come from your land

I would not lose any sleep over it.

+1

I,m in the same boat mate my permission is a dairy farm that has a neighbouring "shoot" .

there is quite a few birds that have nested and bred on it as it has a few nice areas of rough cover inc a small copse that I have just put a few feeders on .

after a conversation with the farmer asking if he was ok with putting them in his response was " of course you can if its on my land shoot it "

and as said once released birds become wild birds and are free to roam where they want so don't worry about it and enjoy the coming season .......

I intend to !!!

The above is all well and good, BUT i'm a great believer in wot comes around goes around. It may be legal and the farmer may not care but it is not morally right and not the done thing.

Possibly sometime in the future the shoe willl be on the other foot and ur releasing birds for someone else to quite leagally feed and shoot over the boundry see how u like it then

The shooting world is very small and everyone tends to know everyone else and gossip and bitch about each other, i'd far rather get on with my neighbours and get invited to keepers days than try to upset them for the sake of a few pheasants. Life's too short and really not worth it

Emm seems a few people seem to be agreeing with me..... You should share your secret as to how your pheasants don't walk.... Or could be you put so many down they crawl about the farm like maggots, not a lot of skill in flooding the place you will always be able to find birds... You are correct any landowner has the right to feed and shoot there land I never said they didn't, it make everyone life Easyer if neighbours get along. Mike555 has shown he is trying with habitat improvement and wants to do the correct thing and I fully support this.

The above is all well and good, BUT i'm a great believer in wot comes around goes around. It may be legal and the farmer may not care but it is not morally right and not the done thing.

Possibly sometime in the future the shoe willl be on the other foot and ur releasing birds for someone else to quite leagally feed and shoot over the boundry see how u like it then

The shooting world is very small and everyone tends to know everyone else and gossip and bitch about each other, i'd far rather get on with my neighbours and get invited to keepers days than try to upset them for the sake of a few pheasants. Life's too short and really not worth it

NOT HAVING A POP MATE .............the neighbouring shoot I mention is approx. 1/2-3/4 mile away with a golf course in between .

so if birds are there on land you have permission to shoot on all year round its against some form of unwritten ethic not to try and hold them there for the chance to bag a couple during the season .

all be it at my expense for feed /feeders and fuel to check every other day .

I am under no illusion the glove will be on the other hand and birds from the land I shoot will wander onto land I don't shoot and may well be shot by others ............I.M.H.O hey ho so be it

Edited by hodge911

The thread is prety much about setting hoppers all along ur march fences to lure ur neighbours birds in from the other side of the fence, if ur neighbouring shoot is 3/4's of a mile away don't really see how it is relevant to this thread???

Pretty much a totally different situation to the OP and thread in general when the shoot is so far apart,

i feed 2 boundry woods on my shoot with our neighbour but only feed the far sides and we have a pen within 200m, I could do a few things to lure more of his birds in but jist not worth it, if we had more woods i wouldn't even shoot those 2.

Neighbouring keeper has caught me a few times at this time of year actually dogging his birds off my ground back onto his. Not worth the hassle trying to steal his birds to add a few to the bag, later on in the year we will get a few of him as he will of us, but at this time of year as much chance of his birds luring my birds back over his side of the boundry, i prefer to attempt to look after my own 1st

Rich, you seem to fabricating/inventing an awful lot about my shoot. Just naff off and annoy someone else. I just gave my opinion about the OP's situation and you jumped on me for some reason. Sorry if it has got your knickers in a twist

Scully, who says i use any excuses for losing birds? Just the way pheasants are, like others have said they will wander. If the shoot isn't happy with returns then i accept it as my fault and try to improve. I would not blame it on someone else who i cannot control, or go and tell them what they can and can't do.

Edited by jimbo86

Scully, who says i use any excuses for losing birds? Just the way pheasants are, like others have said they will wander. If the shoot isn't happy with returns then i accept it as my fault and try to improve. I would not blame it on someone else who i cannot control, or go and tell them what they can and can't do.

Fair enough. Good attitude to have, but not one which would work on the commercial shoots around here. One of the biggest local hotels depends on the birds being there when it takes guests who have paid a large amount of money to shoot and stay in the hotel over the weekend for that purpose. No birds, no guests, no hotel, and a lot of unemployed locals.

Neither our rough shoot nor syndicate shoot is commercial based, but we do pay for the birds we release and we pay for the feed we put out. I wouldn't be too happy to discover if a neighbour was feeding birds without putting birds of his own down. Nothing we could do about it of course, but we wouldn't be happy.

We didn't have to put down birds on our rough shoot as there were quite a few on our land from those surrounding shoots, but it didn't sit comfortably with us, and bearing in mind the small community we live in and how the effects would probably have repercussions on us at some time, we decided to put some down. As a result, we get the odd invite to their shoot, and we invite those to ours, and everyone gets on fine.

It doesn't always work of course. Two of the biggest syndicates locally, one commercial, the other not, which back onto each other, are only separated by a wide shallow valley. They drive birds towards each others land, and the only agreement between the two shoots is that they never shoot on the same day, and that the pickers up are allowed on each others land for that purpose. Apart from that they don't get on at all, which is putting it mildly.

Edited by Scully

hi

over the last 3 years i have been trying to increase the number of birds on my land by using cover strips, feeders, habitat improvements and predator control its only small (140 acres) and has no where suitable to put birds down! i am really paranoid i could be upsetting my neighbours, we shoot maximum 30 birds per year so not too many the idea is to increase the wild population especially grey partridge (although we dont shoot them), its become a brilliant hobby and this year i'm seeing great results but i don't want my neighbours thinking i'm poaching there birds don't get me wrong im under no illusion and no full well that there will be a percentage of birds that will come on to my land and that we will shoot but i can also see the results of the time and money we put in too.

i would really appreciated what you guys think and what you think i should be doing

cheers

mike

The thread is prety much about setting hoppers all along ur march fences to lure ur neighbours birds in from the other side of the fence, if ur neighbouring shoot is 3/4's of a mile away don't really see how it is relevant to this thread???

Pretty much a totally different situation to the OP and thread in general when the shoot is so far apart,

i feed 2 boundry woods on my shoot with our neighbour but only feed the far sides and we have a pen within 200m, I could do a few things to lure more of his birds in but jist not worth it, if we had more woods i wouldn't even shoot those 2.

Neighbouring keeper has caught me a few times at this time of year actually dogging his birds off my ground back onto his. Not worth the hassle trying to steal his birds to add a few to the bag, later on in the year we will get a few of him as he will of us, but at this time of year as much chance of his birds luring my birds back over his side of the boundry, i prefer to attempt to look after my own 1st

sorry scotslad don't see what your getting at here

where in the OP does he mention feeding boundries ??

the way I read it he,s worried about the next door shoot blaming him for poaching their birds by doing a lot of work to keep what birds are there there for him to shoot and has asked for our opinions .

Aye but on 140 acres he is never going to be that far from a boundry, depending on the shape he might only ever be 2-400m (if he's lucky) to the dead centre of his shoot.

I think it is great he's doing habitat work rather than just sticking a oad of hoppers out, and possibly u are getting enough broods fledged to cover ur 30 birds a season, but sticking a few ex layers in a partridge pen would cost next to nothing and keep u right

Aye but on 140 acres he is never going to be that far from a boundry, depending on the shape he might only ever be 2-400m (if he's lucky) to the dead centre of his shoot.

I think it is great he's doing habitat work rather than just sticking a oad of hoppers out, and possibly u are getting enough broods fledged to cover ur 30 birds a season, but sticking a few ex layers in a partridge pen would cost next to nothing and keep u right

fair comment mate!!!

like I say I,m not having a pop just trying to see where your coming from .......as everyone is allowed their opinion ..........one of mine is that the neighbouring shoot will probably loose way more than 30 birds to nature be it illness or predation or if close by roads road kill as the shoot I drive the game cart on does.

so if I was the o.p neighbour he woulndn,t bother me especially if he,s helping in predator control ............but again that is just MY opinion.......... and undoubtedly others WILL disagree but that's life aint it............

and as this is the first time in the 6yrs I have had the permission I have put feeders up after noting how many wild birds have bred in the last 2 years Its basically an experiment to see if I can get them to hold and if so myself and a mate have been talking of maybe putting a few birds down next year

Edited by hodge911

Invite your neighbouring keepers to come and have a walk through with you to show them what work you have put in creating your little shoot. Explain you only shot 30 birds last season (unless they only release 500 birds or less) then they can't really see you as a poacher. You never know, you might get an invite their shoot.

Good luck for the season

This is the way to go on - keepers may well have had a walk round already so an invitation and asking for advice is what I would like if I were keepering next door. Ask them if you should put a few birds down to compensate for boundary hopping. Dont take any **** from them though - you are extending the hand of friendship.

It does annoy me, I have a bordering farmer who releases nothing, has a retired keeper doing his feeding and has 4 x 40-70 bird days a year, he has another big shoot on his opposite boundry. He feeds his boundary with us very heavily then dogs our birds back his way.

There is no reason at all why they cannot release say 200 partridges, they can be released into cages within game crops then liberated after two weeks.

A

It does annoy me, I have a bordering farmer who releases nothing, has a retired keeper doing his feeding and has 4 x 40-70 bird days a year, he has another big shoot on his opposite boundry. He feeds his boundary with us very heavily then dogs our birds back his way.

There is no reason at all why they cannot release say 200 partridges, they can be released into cages within game crops then liberated after two weeks.

A

I think its this consistent effort to attract which is just not cricket, the odd few will stray but feeding to draw them away, year in and year out is ungentlemanly and a dirty trick.