Great night on the Foxes

Michaeli

Well i don't get much chance to get out foxing but a friend gave me a call to see if i fancied a night out.

Foxing is new to me and i have only ever shot one fox before so i should be a good night.

First one was in a cow field and as soon as the lamp was on him, he was on the move. But along the field and towards us. He would just not stop. So having read the shout and shoot method i was about to try it.

Tracking him in the scope, a quick oi was shouted and within a second or so of him stoping he was down.

Shot was taken at the chest with the fox looking head on. Well the .308 did the job travelling the whole body and exiting 3/4 the way down.

C4AD9F47-6B0C-4492-9F8A-B1C7812A27EC_zps

Second one was my mates. Well after not listing to me that its was further than he though and 4 shots later the fox disappeared. We then drop into the next field were we saw him go. There he was at the end of the field. A quick drive down the field and this time its mine. 120 yards, bang and down he goes.

Now a small thud was heard but the 150grain bullet bouncing off the ground into the steep bank of the field.

On inspection, my shot had delivered the fatal blow but only just. Travelling down the nose, taking out part of his head and then a line was found all the way down its back that looked like my bullet. The other thing we noticed was his broken leg. This looked like it was at the end of the bullet track but could have been done by my friend.

F27EE057-5616-4FE9-B0B4-48EADA661B66_zps

The third was in another set of fields and my mate took the shot. 150 yards and his .223 made quick work dropping it on the spot.

B3329F73-63D2-4BA3-91DC-B71C0396A944_zps

Lots of rabbits and hares were about and after the foxing out came the .17hmr and one of each was taken for the pot.

Great night out and one of my best in a long while, ended up getting home at 3:45 so it was a long but great night.

Thanks

Michael

Yep know what you mean. I though one would sent it running but not so.

Which is why we though if the first shot did the leg, that would explain the not running off at the shots.

It turned out what he though was about 120-150 yards away was more like 220-250 yards.

Michael

Yep know what you mean. I though one would sent it running but not so.

Which is why we though if the first shot did the leg, that would explain the not running off at the shots.

It turned out what he though was about 120-150 yards away was more like 220-250 yards.

Michael

You often hear how the night can affect range estimation, I too have fell through that trap! My dad and I were out with the .223 a few years ago, we spotted this fox and I shot at it, heard the usual thump, went off to fetch it-could I find it could I hell. Next day a farm worker called my dad and said he had found a fox with a hole in the engine room and when my dad told him where we had shot it from turns out I was 100 yards short. Yes I reckon your right about the 1st shot as when I have missed cleanly with the 1st shot they normally disappear pretty quickly.