Hitting the field after work yes or no?

Buck  Hunter

I think by the time you have picked your spot, set up and settled down it will be a bit late, the nights are drawing in now and even a light cloud cover will cut down the light, ive noticed this last week the birds are returning to roost around 5.30 to 6, after that its just odd stragglers coming in, hardly worth the effort.

It would be better to find a good roost and forget decoys, just take the gun and get in under the trees, you might get some action.

:good::good:

I think by the time you have picked your spot, set up and settled down it will be a bit late, the nights are drawing in now and even a light cloud cover will cut down the light, ive noticed this last week the birds are returning to roost around 5.30 to 6, after that its just odd stragglers coming in, hardly worth the effort.

It would be better to find a good roost and forget decoys, just take the gun and get in under the trees, you might get some action.

:good::good:

Totally agree that roost shootings the best option or a flight line to the roost.No gear to chew on with,just tucked in the wood or hedgerow with you gun, carts & flask.We love roost shooting but we dont usually start till the late Autumn when the trees have shed their leaves.

umm may see if I can leave off a little earlier and Decoy for a couple of hours then sit in the nearby trees which they love and see what I can get coming into roost then thank you for your replies hopefully will get a decent bag.

You can do a bit of both if you set decoys out on a flightline into a roost wood. Early on you get the odd bird interested in a late feed and the rest carry on towards the wood but are often pulled in to have a look at the decoys which mean you get more birds in range of a shot.