Walking along side the combine

Davyo

After 2x guns turned up to decoy pigeons but none around the farmer asked us if we wanted to follow the combine on the last field left to cut.What a great day but very tiresome and some really good sport.We used a relay method where one gun would walk with the combine and walk back (so covering 2× cuts).Then the second gun would walk with the combi and the first would stay with te 4x4 and have a rest and a cupper.We took this in turns till there was about 3 cuts remaining the we both covered either side of the crop.With the farmer bipping on the horn if he spotted any rabbits running in front of the blades.We ended the day with 14 plus 3 going throught the combi lol.Today my legs are killing.

My mother has a photo of my late grandfather with a bag of over 200 rabbits he shot while walking beside a harvester just before WW2 , they were shot from a field no bigger than 20 acres in Kent IIRC .

I still have the gun he used , a 16 gauge choked extra full in both barrels ! , he liked the tight chokes as he said if he shot the rabbits up front there was less meat damage.

Edited by fenboy

Glad to see you are still at it Dave :good: and not packed in as you were going to ..

Thanks Mike,was going to give it up but thought I would regret it plus I took the other half out for a drive around with the rimmy one afternoon and she said I would be nuts to stop.I have slowed down a bit though,have to admit at 52 its hard going following the bine but bloody good fun.I am only getting out 2 nights a week now, but since moving over to NV I can easily get the numbers as i did when out 3/4 nights.Last night i planned staying out till 4am but the fog rolled in at 12.30am with only 15 in the bag(not bad for an hour)

Edited by Davyo