Off the Mark...!

Paul T

Well, I decided to venture out on the 1st, even though I've never been successful on this date previously! I took my young cocker with me for a bit of experience. She's a good swimmer and not scared of water at all, so I thought if I do get lucky with a duck I'll try and get it so it's close to the bank as a first water retrieve.

I'd been out about 45mins, had a natter with a couple of other guys from my club and settled down into a hollow in the vegetation. Shortly, a single mallard decided to drop in to the river about 30yds to the left. Great, I thought that's perfect and as she put the paddles down I let off a shell. I watched her drop, but unfortunately she wasn't killed outright and she had a couple of flaps taking her two thirds of the way across the river. I had no choice but to stop her and let another shell off. She was still, but a long way out and drifting downstream.

I looked at the cocker and she was desperate to go for the retrieve so I signalled and she threw herself in the water. Well, the thrill of a freshly downed bird certainly gave her extra confidence and she judged the drift perfectly meeting the bird perfectly on the diagonal. She grasped it and turned home like a little motorboat, bless her! It was a lot further than I had really wanted for her first, but she did superbly well. On reaching the bank it was a 3' near vertical muddy slope and she did let go of the bird to get a better hold, so she could make the jump up. A couple of seconds later and she was sat at my feet making a lovely presentation, wagging furiously. I decided I could stop out all night, but nothing was going to top that, so I headed home a very happy bloke with a very bouncy and excited cocker.

She was very proud of her achievement, as am I. So, 'firsts' all round; a first bird on the 1st for me and a first water retrieve for the cocker. Don't think the missus is to impressed with the state of the kitchen floor when we got back though :oops:

bf37e751-a1e1-4330-ba2b-cd4c86b40129.jpg

Well done mate, on your day of firsts. And a cracking report. You just got to love a cockers enthusiasm for every thing you put in front of them. Someone should really tell them tho that there only little dogs lol. I cannot wait to get my little cocker bitch out for our first ever fowling trip on Sunday. Hope she gets the opportunity to get a first retrieve on duck. Cheers hh