sea fishing... any tips for the begginer?

novice cushie shooter

Hi guys am sure a few on here will sea fish. Was out yesterday for my first time and really enjoyed it. Looking at buying rigs etc and trying to avoid fleabay.

Im also not great at filleting and have frozen the mackrel whole (gutted and head off) are they ok to cook this way??

any tips and help would be greatly appricited

as long as the black skirt is gone from the inside meat u be fine.thaw em out ,just grill em with a squirt of lemon turning slowly to cook through.get some feathers ,white and coloured and a couple of complete float kits.that come with a simple instructions.thatl get u mackrel n whiting from the surface.if u want plaice or sole bottom rigs are cheap enough atb

When I bought my first outfit it was only 4 or 5 years ago. Being landlocked I didn't know if I would keep it up.

I went to the auction site and bought an outfit that was 2 x 12ft rods, 2 x reels loaded with 20lb line, 10 weights, a spool of shockleader, a tripod, loads of rigs & swivels etc. The whole lot cost £80.

I'm still using this gear but I've also upgraded to a 15ft carbon Shakespeare Agility with a Penn reel that I can sling 5oz of lead well over 100yds.

Last Saturday I was fishing with my buddy at Felixstowe. I caught a nice 40cm Bass 40yds out on my old 12ft gear and, a couple of years ago at Huttoft I lost count of the whiting I caught, 5 of which were keepers on the old gear so it's not always necessary to spend a fortune.

When I started sea fishing at the age of 6. My dad gave me some sound advice I still remember today. You don't need fancy equipment, you just need to be where the fish are. Still put that advice into practice today, more than sixty years on. Also works for hunting.

+2

And keep your terminal tackle as simple and uncluttered as possible.