Favourite duck to eat?

Darno

Thanks for the replays guys!

Got a Canada on Monday and have only ever roasted them. I'm looking forward to trying something different with it.

Teal a bit later in the season for me!

ive tried canada and not hugly impressed with it, i had one on the weekend and due to working stupid hours yesterday am only now cooking it... i mixed cranberry and chestnut stuffing mix left over from crimbo with onions, sausage meat and a load of black pepper and put it between the two breasts then wrapped it in bacon and just popped it in the oven.

post-58889-0-05671200-1409764012_thumb.jpg

Duck.....it depend on what there been feeding on and what time of year it is, this time of the year Mallard that have been feeding on wheat or barley stubble take some beating , all the other surface feeding duck are ok now but later if they have been on the saltings they have a desired taste ....and its not mine ,as for diving duck its for the devoted few ...........and I am not one of them either

Geese are fine if there young and I have ate good and bad ones in all the species , but I find Canadas are too strong for me and I will only shoot one if somebody ask me to try and get them one, but I think it all depend on how the bird is prepared and cooked.

What's your favourite duck to eat? We mostly get widgeon, teal, and a few mallard on the marsh, but I havnt had a mallard yet!

Also, has anyone got any recipes for Canada goose?? I've tried the one with the brick:-)

Cheers

Darno

Teal and then mallard for me i had a shoveller once :lol: never again it was like eating hand full of mud

Have you tried goose breast skin on a min a side in hot pan lay on tinfoil score the skin then rub English mustard all over top wrap in foil place in tray with a bit of water put in oven 20min take out leave a couple of min to settle then scoff

Interesting to read the comments about Shovellers. I shot one once (was shooting with PW member Silver Pigeon 3) over the GWA splashes and it was very nice, tasted to me not dissimilar to Teal or Mallard. I just had the breasts, lightly fried in olive oil like I always do when trying a new one, with salt and pepper.

I accept however that mine may have been eating a rather refined diet than some others.

Interesting to read the comments about Shovellers. I shot one once (was shooting with PW member Silver Pigeon 3) over the GWA splashes and it was very nice, tasted to me not dissimilar to Teal or Mallard. I just had the breasts, lightly fried in olive oil like I always do when trying a new one, with salt and pepper.

I accept however that mine may have been eating a rather refined diet than some others.

When the game dealer used to come to the hall after the days bag he would leave Shoveler behind as he didn't want them. Mallard were fine but the rest of the duck you got next to nothing for as there were no demand for them, we eat the different duck because we shot them but do we really like them.? At times they had paid more money for a fresh pigeon than a fresh Widgeon and all duck apart from Mallard and Teal would go as small duck, so even though you can sell them there is very little ( if any ) demand for shot wild fowl.

Teal for me then mallard. I have never had a bad teal. Any of you struggling with goose being tough and dry, try my polish goose recipe.

INGREDIENTS:
4 goose breasts,
2 large red onions,
1lb of mushrooms,
300ml of single cream (or small tub)
2 cubes of beef bovril,
butter as needed,
flour.
DIRECTIONS:
1. Cut goose breast in to 3 chunks, coat in flour and sear on both sides in very hot butter. adding butter as required. remove meat to large casserole dish.
2. Dice onion and fry in butter till starting to brown and add to goose.
3. Half mushrooms and fry in butter and add to goose and onions.
4. Pour the cream in among the goose, onions and mushrooms, add water till it is all just covered then add the bovrill.
5. Cover and bake in the oven at 165 deg C for three hours

Sometimes, depending on the age of the birds, it can take a bit longer to cook but if you get it right, the meat can be cut with the side of a fork it is that tender. Give it a go and let us all know.

Teal for me then mallard. I have never had a bad teal. Any of you struggling with goose being tough and dry, try my polish goose recipe.

INGREDIENTS:

4 goose breasts,

2 large red onions,

1lb of mushrooms,

300ml of single cream (or small tub)

2 cubes of beef bovril,

butter as needed,

flour.

DIRECTIONS:

1. Cut goose breast in to 3 chunks, coat in flour and sear on both sides in very hot butter. adding butter as required. remove meat to large casserole dish.

2. Dice onion and fry in butter till starting to brown and add to goose.

3. Half mushrooms and fry in butter and add to goose and onions.

4. Pour the cream in among the goose, onions and mushrooms, add water till it is all just covered then add the bovrill.

5. Cover and bake in the oven at 165 deg C for three hours

Sometimes, depending on the age of the birds, it can take a bit longer to cook but if you get it right, the meat can be cut with the side of a fork it is that tender. Give it a go and let us all know.

That sounds lovely aister, will be trying that once I get a goose