First time out wildfowling

Cosd

Yesterday I left work at 14:00hrs to pick up my shooting buddy Xplor and head off to one of our permissions for my first go at the geese. We were meeting two friends there and the plan was to decoy the geese on oat stubble as they flew towards the ponds behind our permission.

As we pulled into the farm our hearts sank as the gates which are normally locked were wide open, as we drove in we saw the fields were freshly ploughed. We drove over the brow and saw the tractor still at it and had already ploughed over half of the field. We caught up with the farmer and told him what we were planning and he said that he would slow it down and pack up by 19:00hrs leaving us a strip to put our decoys on. This wasn’t ideal but what a gent!!

We set up two simple hides about 5 yards apart and put out a dozen Sillosock decoys at around 25 yards out. Our friends had seen the geese on that stubble the day before at around 17:30hrs, so we poured some coffee and stood behind our hides chatting. 17:30hrs came and went and no sign of the geese. At 18:30 we were all thinking this wasn’t going to happen. The tractor was still going up and down and the field had obviously been disturbed.

As it was beginning to look a little grim and the tractor had vanished, Mark thought he heard a honk. We instantly stood quiet like children which had just been told off, and all of a sudden we all heard the honks and they were getting louder. We clambered for our guns and ducked below the nets.

We were expecting them to be coming from in front but they were behind us and we thought they would just land straight in the ponds. With trees and bushes behind us we couldn’t see them but the noise got louder. All of a sudden about 15 geese came over our left shoulder about 30 feetp high; They looked to be heading away from us then they just turned and headed straight into the coys. We called at each other and as they approached the decoys we all fired.

The adrenaline rush was incredible, and in a flash I had contracted goose fever.

After the first flight we saw tractor back up on the horizon and was ploughing heading our way again, we thought he’d packed up. The farmer stopped, got out and headed over to us. It turns out that he spotted the geese at the other end of the farm on the fresh plough, so he drove around the farm and lifted them for us. What a touch!! After a short chat he was on his way again with a goose in tow for the pot leaving us to enjoy another 3 flights.

We ended the day with 8 birds and 4 very happy chaps…. Next week we are heading to a new permission we picked up last year which is surrounded by 3 large reservoirs, where we will have a go at the ducks, another first for me.

CBA25780-3E8F-4F97-AB19-65A0D4B0D974.jpg

Sound like you had a great time and well done on your first goose .

But sorry Cosd , you have still not been wildfowling , you have been goose shooting , I mean you have not even got a pair of wellies on for goodness sakes :lol:

Edited by fenboy

I didn't want to say so and burst his bubble and he was obviously so excited, and rightly so. :lol:

But sorry Cosd , you have still not been wildfowling , you have been goose shooting , I mean you have not even got a pair of wellies on for goodness sakes :lol:

LOL

OK, that was a newbie mix up of terminology :blush:

We're planning to go to Loch Leven (Kinross) with Mal Kempson in November, that must count as wildfowling :)

LOL OK, that was a newbie mix up of terminology :blush: We're planning to go to Loch Leven (Kinross) with Mal Kempson in November, that must count as wildfowling :)

My first time goose shooting was there :good: never seen so many geese in one place, many years ago now. You should have a very good time.

Still not really Wildfowling unless your covered In black stinky mud and get eaten alive off mozzies :lol:

Figgy

LOL

We're planning to go to Loch Leven (Kinross) with Mal Kempson in November, that must count as wildfowling :)

Really glad you got your first goose and hope you get into Wildfowling proper. I have shot Loch Leven a few times and I'm afraid no it is not really wildfowling. You will be shooting flighting geese from their roost but probably standing in a stubble field. The last time I shot it we was shooting from fields next to the loch where they were producing turfs with great big lawn mowers going up and down.

Even with the best imagine in the world that isn't wildfowling. Hence it was the last time I went. Good luck with it though and try and get yourself out on a proper marsh. I'm sure you will love it.

Still goose shooting Cosd.

You won't go far wrong with Mal and his son Wayne. Went up there with him for about 10 years on the trot from the late 80's. Where are you staying, the Well Inn?

I wonder if 'Split Pin' (Albert) still works behind the bar?

LOL