First time out wildfowling

Cosd

Good write up in any case. At least you are successful. I spent a week in Scotland getting up before dawn to lie in the mud to wait for something that never flighted over. On the last day I got it right and ended with 3 teal in one shot. Did you use to shoot on willows farm or model farm?

Both frams ring a bell. They are not one of my permisions but I have shot around those areas with friends off the forum so may have shot there.

Old age and memory :blush:

Still goose shooting Cosd.

You won't go far wrong with Mal and his son Wayne. Went up there with him for about 10 years on the trot from the late 80's. Where are you staying, the Well Inn?

I wonder if 'Split Pin' (Albert) still works behind the bar?

That's the plan.

Just sorting our dates out and hopefully get booked in there.

If you get in the left hand room in the annexe, make sure you wash the inside of the wardrobe. A friend turned it on it's side and used it as a ferret hutch for a week, stank to high heaven when we left. :lol:

That's the plan.

Just sorting our dates out and hopefully get booked in there.

Always a fuzzy line the deffnition between wildfowling and duck or goose shooting. For me wildfowling is shooting duck or geese in wild places. Of course any shooting below the high tide line is wildfowling , but then what of shooting in the sueda bushes or on the sea wall above the tide line. Still wildfowling for me. Also what about shooting large inland marshes and lakes. Again for me again for me wildfowling. Flight ponds are in my mind is not wildfowling , nor is shooting reared duck anywhere. Shooting on farmland again is not true wildfowling , but still good fun and provided you have to work for your birds well worthwile and perhaps when the weather starts to play its part with driven snow or sites like the Ouse Washes slip out of sight under hundreds of acres of floodwater then farmland can become wildfowling ground.

In my mind its not just the shooting that makes wildfowling its the sights and sounds of the marshland, breakers beyond the channel mouth , surging tides, placid rivers sliding between vast reedbeds, visions of distant fowl flighting against the dark sky at dawn and dusk , flights of waders moveing before the rising waters , lakes set amid wide skys and blood red sunsets and black shaddows streaking across the rising moon all envoke the atmosphere of wildfowling and in my mind maybe your wildfowling is where you find if inland or on the coast.

Congratulations on your first goose and you have made the first step into the wildfowling world that in time will result in you making your own deffination of what wildfowling realy is.

Edited by anser2