Dogs with webbed feet

loriusgarrulus

I was interested in the discussion on webbed feet for labradors and Newfies and looked up what other breeds have them. Know my setter has them as I spend ages clipping the feathering between his toes to stop them getting mud and ice packed in them. Found this list. Interesting to note that most are hunting dogs.

Other webbed-footed dogs include the Chesapeake Bay retriever, Akitas, Brussels griffon, Irish setter, standard poodle, golden retriever, German wirehaired pointers, German shorthaired pointers, Irish water spaniels, Nova Scotia duck tolling retrievers, otter hounds, redbone coon dogs, Spanish waterdog, Weimaraners and wirehaired pointing Griffons.

Newfoundlands have webbed feet and use their back legs when swimming to a greater extent than other dogs .. they are wonderful swimmers, in water l cant think of a breed that comes close to them .. though l am biased lol

All good waterdogs do this back leg thing, the fronts they sort of use like a forwards ruddering system. The body lays sort of inert very low in the water and level and the backbone curves as the dog steers ( its fascinating to watch and staggering what currents they can actually work quite comfortably in and yet still perfectly relaxed). Mine has taken to dipping his head right under randomly while just playing around in the water

Apparently 50% of pitbulls have webbed feet too.

I have heard the pitbull and the Chesapeake have a link though nobody can say for sure the Newfie and a ships mongrel are said by many to have been the foundation stone of the Chesapeake but failing records who can say. When you think on Ches colours and build / attitude this is perhaps feasible

No joke, although should be.

Otter or Beaver take your pick, do a google search just as many come up for either term.

Goes to show google aint always you friend a beaver has a big flat paddle for a tail which it will slap on the water as a warning to other beavers in the event of danger. An otter a thick well furry one thick at the base with a slow taper to the tip

My goldens have webbed feet sadly cameras not waterproof so no chance of a picture

Are those Newfoundland any good at retrieving always fancied one

All the best

Of

They are / were bred for it (not game and fowl mind but ropes and nets) they also retrieve swimmers who get in to trouble off parts of our coast. Problem as a wildfowling dog is you need to dig a hellishly big hole to hide them in (though I suppose they are potentially the doo dahs for keeping you warm on a February moon flight LOL).