Advice/ opinions please

Fat bloke

Hi all.

Still a relative new kid on the block, but learning all the time I hope.

Love traveling as light as poss with my fishing and thinking I can adopt the same with some shooting.

Anyone had much luck with just 6 shell decoys, small bit of netting,carts & gun.

In all honesty part of wanting to have a go like this is as I'm such a lazy ***, it will make it more likely for me to move if it becomes apparent that my original location was not as good as first thought.

Now before I get slated for not moving when I've taken everything but the kitchen sink please take note of my username.

Would love to hear from you with ideas, ( first one that mentions dieting could be eaten) or past experiences of decoying with the minimal kit.

Many thanks in advance.

Fatty

Hi all.

Love traveling as light as poss with my fishing and thinking I can adopt the same with some shooting.

Anyone had much luck with just 6 shell decoys, small bit of netting,carts & gun.

In all honesty part of wanting to have a go like this is as I'm such a lazy ***, it will make it more likely for me to move if it becomes apparent that my original location was not as good as first thought.

Now before I get slated for not moving when I've taken everything but the kitchen sink please take note of my username.

Would love to hear from you with ideas, ( first one that mentions dieting could be eaten) or past experiences of decoying with the minimal kit.

Many thanks in advance.

Fatty

The kit you have with you is perhaps the least important part (ammo apart - take enough!). IF you are in the right place, at the right time and the birds want to be there, the stuff you describe is enough, as long as you are well hidden and don't move when they are on final approach. If the time/place are wrong, all the kit in world won't help much.

Having said that, "real" dead birds are always best, magnets and flappers and floaters help.

Field craft is king - maybe that's why I struggle to get a good bag.....

If you have done your reconnaissance and are in the right place yes it will work , just keep building the picture up all the time with dead birds, I have had a few 100 birds days this way, as for magnets and flappers yes they do work not always but most of the time.

but there is no substitute for good reconnaissance and with that you will make good bags .

Well worth trying a session with minimum kit. In summer can soon be hidden within a hedge. I would take some kebab sticks to prop up the dead bird's heads as decoys. Really seems to make a difference and minimum extra weight (or cut some small sticks out the hedge). I tend to only do this when I have limited time....when I don't want to waste 30 mins to set up and pack up. For longer sessions I want the comfort of a hide.

Thanks gents.

To be truthful I'm still learning but while I'm out in the field I'm at my happiest.

My days are always rammed so finding time for the sort of recci trips that I've read about on this forum are out for me.

Please do not in anyway think that I think or know better than others as I know that the efforts put in by some are superb,as are their results.

But as I can really only fit in short sessions, I thought looking and learning with only minimal kit could be the way forward.

Maybe concentrate on using these times only for looking and learning and leaving the kit at home would be more beneficial to me at this early stage of my shooting?

Regards

Fatty

Reconnaissance really is key to making a decent bag 90% of the time, to make sure you're in the right place on the right field at the right time.....admittedly very hard to find the time for most people though! Perhaps try using the few hours at your disposal for a recce one afternoon with a view to shooting the next one, if you can establish a flightline worth setting up under?!

Minimum kit for me would be a lightweight rotary /battery and a hide with either 2 hypaflap decoys to go on it or 2 defrosted dead birds.

I have missed your self deprecating posts of late.

It is perfectly possible to just drop onto a flight line or field of feeding birds but as others have said make time to watch exactly where the flight line is or where the pigeons want to be in the field. At this time of year there is plenty of greenery in the hedges to fashion some sort of hide in the right place. You may not even need decoys to get you going.

Hi all.

Many thanks in advance.

Fatty

You only get out what you put in......25 rounds come out at 2 1/2 pounds so for 100 pigeons @ 2-1 + you will carry 25lb in rounds also on the way back your 100 pigeons will come in around 100 lb .

That might give you some idea.....what is involved.

TEH

when on my own I always travel light case of having to with only one leg,,,,,kit is 20g gun,2 cart belts each holding 36,aldi rucksack come seat,with pop, shell deeks and sometimes net but not always,an dog,,,,if I do ok I,m knackered when I get back.

I always admire your determination.

travelling light is an excellent idea.........as JDog points out ...there is a lot of greenary about at the moment to make a hide with........i made a post yesterday about a stealth net....and turbo 33 made an excellent reply with pics showing how he supplements a stealth the stealth net with local greenstuff....a steath net can be nearly rolled up and put in your pocket and instead of taking 4 poles ...only take 2........its a great idea to travel light providing you learn to "use" your surroundings...........

I had a good day on laid barley when I shot 35 birds using the first one as a decoy as adding from there. Just stood behind a dyke in the shade of an oak tree. Key was the birds WANTED to be there!

I've had the same over rape, where what was intended as a walk around with just the gun and some cartridges turned into an impromptu decoying session where the pattern was built out of what was shot and the hide made from timber and other stuff that was lying about. The birds were set on feeding on that part of the field and so decoyed in very nicely.

Flappers, magnets, bouncers etc all have their place of course and can make a lot of difference, but you can absolutely do well with minimal kit if you read the flightlines right and find where the birds want to be.

My solo shooting kit comprises, double strap army kit bag(for carrying shot birds back) inside I have home made swivel seat bucket which has in it fifty bamboo skewers, hide net ,two angel frames,four hide pole made out of fibreglass tent poles, 100 cartridges, flask, three thawed birds. At the end of the session gun in slip over shoulder shot birds on back in kit bag, all other things in bucket and carried by handle.

The kit you have with you is perhaps the least important part (ammo apart - take enough!). IF you are in the right place, at the right time and the birds want to be there, the stuff you describe is enough, as long as you are well hidden and don't move when they are on final approach. If the time/place are wrong, all the kit in world won't help much.

Having said that, "real" dead birds are always best, magnets and flappers and floaters help.

Field craft is king - maybe that's why I struggle to get a good bag.....

This man is talking sense !

I too am cursed with putdaforkdown syndrome the answer is 8 years of free pest control, the farmer, now a close friend, tells his son to get up in the morning and take me on the quad to the spot, lazy I know but as my friend says " you save me having to buy an air cannon " I still walk to my closer spots but then take the bare minimum 2 ghost nets, 2 poles , a piece of scrim, 4 pigeon shells two pigeon bouncers and two crow full bodies 75 cartridges all fit in my swivel top bucket and jacket, apart from the poles that is which are tied together and used as a staff ,I also take sandwich bags and brest the birds before I leave. I know 75 cartriges may not sound a lot but I choose to shoot a greener gp single barrel (gaffer gun) and find that amount good enough for a morning or evenings sport .