mink

terence

You can trap or shoot, I was a mink trapper for several years here in the western isles and used live catch traps baited with chunks of fish later we used mink scent/extract, you are obliged to kill mink and must check traps daily, Look for dens usually with scat in entrance and place /dig in traps a few metres away, shooting may be confined to after dark unless mink are used to humans, PM me if you need to I would be happy to help.

Is there a national map, that indicate were there is proven Mink activity ... lm wondering as to how far the feral Mink has spread. I'd like to know if there are areas near to where l live, that Mink are active. Hope this makes sence! .. atb

Pretty near everywhere I fear :no:

A pretty good indicator of mink is coots and moorhens, usually the first to get ate followed by mallard. So if u have a few coots/moorhens thriving u probably have low mink numbers

Also if ur lucky enough to have a few otters they generally push the mink out too

If u look onthe GCWT mink raft's quite easy to make up a raft with a 'footprint tray/trap' that will show u wot is going about on the river and no need to set/attach the trap until u see mink footprints so u don't have to check them everyday until mink are in the area

Last summer my son and I were fishing the river wensum literally in the centre of Norwich ,when a mink ran along a concrete ledge and ran in front of both of us and just carried on . Never seen one in the centre of a city before .

Harnser

I remember a mink on a moored boat in the middle of Wisbech 20 yrs ago

Here you go http://www.gwct.org.uk/wildlife/research/mammals/american-mink/the-gwct-mink-raft/

As long as you can check them at least once every 24 hours this is the best method raft has a clay "trap" for foot prints when you get mink prints add a cage trap. you can have lots more rafts than traps, and target you traps just where needed.

Did u just say otters.. in england? r you bloody kidding another animal ive never seen of or heard was in the uk! im well off the nature reserve! :(

m.

They have always been in the UK but in very small numbers and very sparsely distributed (they were common place but were hunted hard and modern farming methods put them into decline) but in recent years they have made a fairly major comeback and are not uncommon.

They have always been in the UK but in very small numbers and very sparsely distributed (they were common place but were hunted hard and modern farming methods put them into decline) but in recent years they have made a fairly major comeback and are not uncommon.

wow id love to actally see one, protected species now i take it.. surely?!

m.

It was the otter hounds that stopped hunting them due to the decline, they saw the drop in population.. The reason for the decline was because of the drop in the fish population because of pollution, nothing to do with hunting.

The issue now is that they are being introduced back into areas which still don't have the fish numbers to support them and so they go to fish farms.

It was the otter hounds that stopped hunting them due to the decline, they saw the drop in population.. The reason for the decline was because of the drop in the fish population because of pollution, nothing to do with hunting.

The issue now is that they are being introduced back into areas which still don't have the fish numbers to support them and so they go to fish farms.

I agree that the biggest reason was the pollution which was mainly to do with farming methods at the time but certain rivers the hunting did have a big impact alongside this. Regarding your last statement, it's not just the fish farms that suffer. More and more mink are being seen taking pheasants etc from around release pens which is very frustrating. Whether it's farmed fish or reared birds it's costing people a lot of money (especially the fish).

I agree that the biggest reason was the pollution which was mainly to do with farming methods at the time but certain rivers the hunting did have a big impact alongside this. Regarding your last statement, it's not just the fish farms that suffer. More and more mink are being seen taking pheasants etc from around release pens which is very frustrating. Whether it's farmed fish or reared birds it's costing people a lot of money (especially the fish).

Thats crazy, the fish havent climbed in numbers as the otters where gone ?, they should bring some otters down here, we have plenty of fish and no wild life haha, ive never seen a badger, i see foxes every time i go out they run the streets fighting the cats (alot of cats on our estate i swear every corner i walk past has a big tom cat sat on watching me i get woke up two to three times a week from them fighting eachother or with.. foxes, ive never seen a Minx, or a Weasle, ive seen some deer but never the Muntjac as far as i could tell, and that was driving through places like woburn abbey dear park haha - Ive seen sheep, cows etc but half the wild life i see on here ive never even knew populated the UK, I Wouldnt know where to go in the country nor do i know anyone willing to go with me :/.

cant see any wild life being anywhere near where i live in milton keynes