Quad or mule

WGD is spot on, mules/polaris's etc are probably 3 times the weight of a quad yet almost the same sized tyres, do cut up and rut/track wet ground fairly quickly esp if travelling the same direction/route often. Plus if u get it stuck is a tractor job, unlike a quad which u can usually push/lift/dig out urself

I think these utv type things are more a pick up replacement than a quad replacement

Horses for courses, the 6 wheelers are a good piece of kit, unless u have a serious ammount of grain on fairly dry ground i'd go with a quad and trailer far more adaptable

I would go with the mule all day long .

I have Honda foreman 500 quad and a Kawasaki 4x4 trans mule that changes for a two seater with a large pick up back to a four seater with small back it takes five min to change .

the quad never gets used .

a quad is not as adaptable as my mule , not even near as good the mule has a massive amount of storage, I can put a folding 20 bore and 250 cartridges in the front under bonnet storage , with four/six people seated plus their guns cartridge bags and 100 birds on a rack on the back with a drum for empty cartridges and all the bird strings !

the mule has selective two or four wheel drive, diff lock and low range gear box , plus the gearbox is automatic !

much more use than a quad

On my dad's farm we had a Polaris quad and swapped it for the mid size Polaris ranger ( 2 seater lighter one not the big heavy 3 seat one) about 2 years back, wish we had done it a lot sooner, we would never go back to a quad now.

The farm is on the west Pennines moor so the ground does get boggy, the ranger has decent clearance and electronicly locks all four wheels and as yet has never got stuck.

I used have to use the small tractor for some jobs the quad could not handle now the small tractor doesn't get used and I just use the ranger.

Edited by timps

on the shoot I drive the game cart on I use one of these XLNT bit of kit the game keeper uses it all day every day pulls a ibc tank full of water on a trailer no problem .

he had a quad before it [on or his second one now] and much prefers the rtv the shepherd also has one

Kubota rtv900

post-12398-0-26176700-1409938137_thumb.jpg

Edited by hodge911

on the shoot I drive the game cart on I use one of these XLNT bit of kit the game keeper uses it all day every day pulls a ibc tank full of water on a trailer no problem .

he had a quad before it [on or his second one now] and much prefers the rtv the shepherd also has one

Kubota rtv900

attachicon.gifkubota.jpg

Looks just like my mates and he isn't too far from you.

Lke i said it is horses for courses. Depending wot u want it for, and the type of soil

Most of the farmers/keepers i know with 1 have found it more replaces a pick up rather than a quad, as most keep a quad for stock work (UTV's to numb and slow for rounding stock up) and most keepers i know have ket there quad too for feeding in woodland, tight spots etc.

Most i know generally use the UTV's for a lot of road work feding stock in fields away from farm or just dodging about the shoot day to day

In my area the ground is simply to soft for them, atleast the 4wd versions, 6wd do well, and they are so easy to overload making them even heavier, never seen a keeper or farmer run with a half load of feed yet.

They are also fairly dear to buy and almost every type has some mechanical issues,know a few farmers got rid of them because so dear to fix/maintain and they tried different makes, if u took the best bits of them all u would have a good reliable machine

They are also fairly dear to buy and almost every type has some mechanical issues,know a few farmers got rid of them because so dear to fix/maintain and they tried different makes, if u took the best bits of them all u would have a good reliable machine

spot on!!!!!!!

but will the manufacturers listen to the end user and build them ?? ................................................I think not .lol