Best of the year

motty

I have said in past threads that this year has been a poor year for pigeons, personally. Well it seems like it could turn out to be better than average, numbers wise.

I had a fantastic day on barley stubble yesterday.

After missing an appointment with me in the early morning to try to ambush some geese, my mate Sam eventually turned up to kill some pigeons with me. A barley field has been showing some good numbers of birds and a really strong line has been feeding the birds into it. After a quick chat to the farmer, we were setting up by a convenient tree. We put out two magnets, two flappers, a dozen fuds and a half dozen pigeons I shot earlier waiting for geese.

At 12pm we were ready, and so were the pigeons. They didn't decoy in textbook fashion for the most part, but were drawn within range enough to get plenty of shots off. I still haven't got my Beretta o/u fixed, so I was using my xtrema again. I was very pleased with how I shot. Sam shot well, too, and we both applauded some memorable shots. I was especially pleased with a couple of high driven birds and a quality, delayed double also sticks in the mind. I got a nice triple, and it was pleasing at times when out of a bunch we managed to kill 4.

My cartridge and choke combination was Fiocchi top 1 28gm 7 and a Briley IM. This seemed to be mustard on those longer birds.

I was certain after the first hour and over 40 kills that a good score would result. The 100 was up by 3pm. This was by no means just killing numbers of birds, the quality of target presented by the pigeons produced every shot in the book, and as well as being my best bag of the year, it was by far the finest shooting I've enjoyed, too.

The day had to end, and by 5pm we had had the best of it. We packed up, very satisfied with 163 pigeons and 2 ferals.

I would have posted this in a different section, but I forgot to take a picture of the final bag.

A video of the day will follow..hopefully.

Edited by motty

By doubling the equipment you double the bag? ???? ??????

I thought it would be best to make the pattern look very 'busy'.

Hi Motty, great report on a frustrating day but well presented birds made up for it. You could be in for a good autumn .

I think there will be a few more decent days to come, before they start flocking up again.

No doubt you will have a few good days, too. :good:

Cracking bag Motty, any 150+ day is one to remember and it sounds like yours was a particularly good one! I've noticed I seem to get far more days where the birds aren't just suicidally dropping straight into the decoys any more, on all my bigger days this year more flighting/longer sporting shots have made up the majority of the bag....so much more satisfying killing a good number of those than shelling peas floating straight in, great day mate :)

So no one uses 30 grms?

you rekon 28 gram are good?

Nice bag Wane....

What ever you use, If the bird is not in the pattern (shot string) then it will keep flying......

I use 28 gram 7.5's in Fibre a mate uses 32gm 6.5's in Fibre. He misses just the same as do I.....

However his are £55.00 a slab and mine are £40.00...

The important bit is...........You are happy with what goes in the chamber other wise the confidence part is lost and so is the bird..

TEH

Well done Motty.

EH - Those Eley First's are a cracking cartridge, and as you say for £40 you can't go wrong. Picked up another case from Leaches on Saturday.

Nice bag Wane....

What ever you use, If the bird is not in the pattern (shot string) then it will keep flying......

I use 28 gram 7.5's in Fibre a mate uses 32gm 6.5's in Fibre. He misses just the same as do I.....

However his are £55.00 a slab and mine are £40.00...

The important bit is...........You are happy with what goes in the chamber other wise the confidence part is lost and so is the bird..

TEH