Fly fishing

welshwarrior

Could try swapping a rifle for a couple of lessons :whistling:. On a serious note, it all depends on what you're fishing for and where. If you can get someone (possibly the person giving you the chance to go out) who is a competent caster to give you a few lessons it will make whatever you are fishing for more enjoyable as it can be frustrating trying to cast when you don't know the basics. Don't be too concerned about getting lots of line out and casting for the horizon, it's better to have shorter casts that land on the water tidy as opposed to a long, uncontrolled one disturbing every fish for miles around. there is as much chance of catching close in as miles out (in general). Hope you enjoy it.

I would assume you will be fishing for trout. Fly fishing is a wonderful, interesting and usually challenging sport. You can get as involved as you like making own flys etc or keep it as simple as you like. I think fly fishing and quarry shooting compliment each other. When I'm not shooting I try to go Fly fishing. Give it a go, I'm sure you'll get hooked. (No pun)

Look up your local instructor and get a lesson or two in, 2 sessions with a qualified instructor is worth three seasons on your own and you wont form the bad habits. Two hours and I could get you casting better than a guy without instruction and two seasons of thrashing under his belt, its not an art BTW just a simple skill to cast a fly well, the fishing bit takes time though

Look up your local instructor and get a lesson or two in, 2 sessions with a qualified instructor is worth three seasons on your own and you wont form the bad habits. Two hours and I could get you casting better than a guy without instruction and two seasons of thrashing under his belt, its not an art BTW just a simple skill to cast a fly well, the fishing bit takes time though

+1 you will save so much time and spend more time actually fishing if you have a lesson or two before you go.

Oh daf i could have shown you i have fly fished for over 40 years. I should be back down in about 3weeks. Learning to cast you can do it on a grass field just knock the curve of and old fly, dont try and cast to far,wear a hat and sunglasses.

John thanks if you fancy a lesson in exchange you know where I am.

Are you fishing still water or river..?

Still I think at Fisherwick.

Wear sunglasses and a hat to protect you head and eyes from your own fly when learning to cast (I always wear them anyway after 25yrs of fly fishing since I was 8).

Take breaks from casting, your arm will get tired and your casting will deteriorate.

Don't try to cast too far...I nicely presented fly 20yds away is better than a heap of line crashing down 30yds away.

mate when I'm back off holiday ill take you out If you want I'm in Tamworth use my gear if you don't have any, everyone says get lessons but iv never bothered and learnt myself I might not be the best but I can catch!

Thank you for the very kind offer hopefully then won't make to bigger **** of myself, I've got no kit at all. Let me know when your back I'll give you a shooting lesson in exchange if you like.

Thanks for all the other replies if I enjoy joy it then I'll sort out a more formal lesson

go for it; fly fishing is magic. You don't need to thrash the rod; keep wrist cocked and imagine on the back cast your rising at the angle of a church spire; short raise, load the tip and back down the spire and release some line; repeat exercise a few times and on last cast break wrist forward when your hand gets back to the the start position and let the line shoot. just use a single fly on leader the same length as rod and you`ll soon get the hang of casting.