Fly fishing

welshwarrior

Look on the net fly tackle abounds go for a 7/8 9ft rod it'll cover most of your needs a good reel is nice but most fish are played free hand the reels for storing the line even though playing off the reel is great fun buy one line to start with i'd recommend a double taper floater you can fish drys, nyphs, wets,buzzers, lures the whole kittenkaboodle with a floating line good extendable landing net, priest and a shoulder bag as always buy the best you can afford as already mentioned a good pair of poloroid sunglasses and when starting out a sturdy hat, fly selection is never ending and many a book has been written on the subject BUT if I had to choose then a dry daddy longlegs, gold ribbed hares ear, gold headed pheasant tail nymph, black and green montanna and the cats whisker in white and fluro green have taken countless stocked trout but trust me the subject is a whole new thread on it's own comming from gwent i'm blessed with dozens of good rivers north, south, east and west of me but i'm a stillwater man at heart and there are far better quailified people to advise you on running water flies than myself, rod choice is yours but i've never bought a bad shimano, you can fly fish for all types of fish not just trout, pike and carp will get the old pulse racing. But If you do end up buying an Orvis,Loop combo and can't get on with fly fishing i'll take them off your hands :lol:

Iv got a really good DVD some one gave me when I started I will try and find some one to copy it and I send you a copy pm me address

Thanks I PM you now.

Look on the net fly tackle abounds go for a 7/8 9ft rod it'll cover most of your needs a good reel is nice but most fish are played free hand the reels for storing the line even though playing off the reel is great fun buy one line to start with i'd recommend a double taper floater you can fish drys, nyphs, wets,buzzers, lures the whole kittenkaboodle with a floating line good extendable landing net, priest and a shoulder bag as always buy the best you can afford as already mentioned a good pair of poloroid sunglasses and when starting out a sturdy hat, fly selection is never ending and many a book has been written on the subject BUT if I had to choose then a dry daddy longlegs, gold ribbed hares ear, gold headed pheasant tail nymph, black and green montanna and the cats whisker in white and fluro green have taken countless stocked trout but trust me the subject is a whole new thread on it's own comming from gwent i'm blessed with dozens of good rivers north, south, east and west of me but i'm a stillwater man at heart and there are far better quailified people to advise you on running water flies than myself, rod choice is yours but i've never bought a bad shimano, you can fly fish for all types of fish not just trout, pike and carp will get the old pulse racing. But If you do end up buying an Orvis,Loop combo and can't get on with fly fishing i'll take them off your hands :lol:

Not going to buy anything until I've tried it especially as most of what you said made no sense to me what so ever.

I've got a game bag and priest from shooting in case I catch anything.

Got the fly rods out of storage going out tomorrow after a 25 year break. Sharpley Waters Fly Fishery near Seaham in Co. Durham. A series of six stocked lakes, trout up to twenty pounds and a bonus sweep for anyone who gets the tagged fish, could be up to £1000 depends what's in the kitty.

Really looking forward to it, had a practice in the cemetery yesterday and ye hey I can still cast :yahoo::yahoo:

Got the fly rods out of storage going out tomorrow after a 25 year break. Sharpley Waters Fly Fishery near Seaham in Co. Durham. A series of six stocked lakes, trout up to twenty pounds and a bonus sweep for anyone who gets the tagged fish, could be up to £1000 depends what's in the kitty.

Really looking forward to it, had a practice in the cemetery yesterday and ye hey I can still cast :yahoo::yahoo:

Boo hoo ......not going today after all, mate has a problem. If he's not sorted by today then I'm going on my own Wed or Thur. Will get back with hopefully a good catch report.

Edit = sweep for tagged fish stands at £500................can live in hope.

Edited by Sha Bu Le

It does indead :lol:

Anyhoos went today, conditions not ideal sunny and not much wind, managed to land one rainbow of 2.2 pounds mate got two about the same weight. Lost one in weed & reeds and missed a hit by one millisecond. mate missed about 4 hits.

Mate last went to Sharpley Waters about 4 years ago, said it was a brilliant place. Can't say that now, too much weed and on one lake some kind of scum on the surface, hate to think it could be some kind of bacteria from the weeds.

It was a good day in spite of the low catch, may go again.

My previous comment re "I can still cast" turned out to be a bit tongue in cheek, had to cut 3 leaders off .......tangles, must get more practise.

ATB

Bri

No Pics.........its in the oven.

wind knots are for beginners wait until you can cast a bow into your leader then you know you've made the big league handy for putting a dropper onto though :lol:

Yes after a 25 year break I must consider myself a beginner, have to say as the day wore on I did improve, not as much as I would have liked but was a lot better than a couple of water floggers who were there.