Golden plovers

Harnser

I have been shooting my friends farms for the past 40 years or so . There is one field about 100 acres that runs parallel to a B road that is now barley stubble .

As long as I can remember at this time of the year this field is visited by a massive flock of of golden plovers . Right on que yesterday they lighted in . There are hundreds and hundreds of them . I sat and watched them for a good hour or more and marvelled at the way that they fly in a group ,just like a flock of starlings. They do not go onto any other field only this particular one unless they are put off for some reason .

Is this normal behaviour for golden plover ,why just this one field and are they likely to be migrating to this field or are they likely to be resident birds . It has all ways intrigued me .

Perhaps the PW. massive could give me a definitive answer . These beautiful little birds are allways left alone to do their own thing . There have been several bird watchers over the years watching them and taking pictures .

Harnser

We have a field that's closed off on three sides and in the next coming month will fill up with a good few hundred golden plovers , they skirt the field half flying half walking and feeding heavily on the waterlogged field, then they all move off after a month.

I take people to see it and every so often meet someone who knows somewhere else that it happens.

Fascinating stuff.

John.

on the patch of land I shoot over,there is field that is referred to as new land, which in our area means it was grass land then brought into, arable use this was over 40 years ago, and the curlew flock to the field every year no matter what crop it has had on it, So this may be a reason

On a farm I shoot, which is sheep and nothing else, they come in just before dark to feed all winter. Small groups and singles. They are extremely difficult to shoot, but I do take a couple every year. Lovely bird and nice to eat and very sporting.

Edited by Dr D