Ever get bored of shooting?

wildfowler.250

Couldn't decide whether to put the following in the 'off topic' section but as above title really?

I've been beating since about 6, shotgun licence at 10 and been shooting a lot for the last 14 years. I'd say I would go out most weekends in winter and a bit over the summer. Have to say that recently though I've been pretty fed up with it. It's not often I go out and don't get a few birds but I find getting through them more of a chore these days and that defeats the purpose really? Both my brother and old man shoot as well so if we're all out separately at the weekends you can be a bit oversubscribed with meat and the freezer gradually gets filled up more than stuff gets taken out,(I do give the odd birds away).

Added to that is that if you go looking for somewhere new, there's always stepping on other folks toes. I know a lot of folk who would stab each other in the back for shooting ground and it's just not my thing.

Has anyone on here packed the shooting in for the short or long term? Don't think I should sell my guns as yet but I'm tempted give it a rest for a while.

Maybe wildlife photography would be a similar avenue to go down as an alternative? I also find that with shooting being a controversial subject you have to try and be descrete about everything..

Normally I'd be the first one out at the crack of dawn but it just doesn't do it for me any more. Would be interested to hear if anyone else has done the same thing. I can't be the only one :lol:

Apologies for the ramble!

Edited by wildfowler.250

I shotgun hunted very eagerly til I was 20, then a new job spoiled it for me for 15 years until recently when I decided I would start again and seek permissions. Now I have 3 farmers asking, when's he coming down here again! My permissions are 102 miles from my door, but manage them monthly. It's where the in laws are. I look forward again to the endless hour's waiting to pop up from the hide. I kinda wish I hadn't had such a long break though.

I been shooting for over 30 years but a couple of seasons ago I just lost the buzz during the pheasant season, I carried on beating but left the gun at home .the break gave me a new hunger for it so it's not a bad thing to have a rest from it.

I strongly advise not selling your guns and as for taking up photography I know a married couple that have been keepers all there working life and now no longer shoot but invest all there time in photographing wildlife and writing books . Look up Jill Mason and David masons books on game keeping and Hares.

Stick with it mate cos I think 6 months down the line you will regret doing something rash, let's face it ,it must be in your blood to take it up in the first place.

I stopped shooting for a few years when the family were young , sold my guns and gear but kept my certificate.

That was more for lack of time than anything , I was either working or looking after the kids while the Mrs did some part time.

I almost gave up pigeon shooting this year as I was disillusioned with the poor bags I was getting and competing with other shooters on a couple of farms I shoot, its hard to get a decent bag when you have people who are retired willing to sit in a field all day for a handful of pigeon .

Luckily a few people on here talked me out of it and I have had some reasonable shooting this last few months and enjoyed a bit of company too.

I am very keen with the fowling at the moment having a new dog to take along .

No, but I have moved my interests from one discipline to another over the year, started off with beating and ferreting as a kid, then started some rough shooting as a teenager, started wildfowling and joined a small DIY farm game shoot as well as doing many miles looking for (and getting) pigeon decoying. Never really reached a peak, ie hitting the 'heights' (!) of regular driven game on proper shoots I still do a lot of shooting related activity but very little actual trigger pulling.

The last few years I have settled on running my own small DIY game shoot (playing at gamekeeping), beating, wildfowling and deerstalking, with the very occasional driven pheasant day as a treat.

So my advice would be to do something different.

Taking up nature photography is usually what old guns do when they can no longer crawl along muddy creeks anymore or when the occasional guy has a Peter Scott revelation. But of course you can do both. Give yourself a temporary break but set yourself a challenge with the camera. A few years ago I decided I would try and photograph every wildfowel resident or Migratory into the UK. I set off to try and achieve doing so in their natural environments but soon found myself visiting WWT reserves. I also ended up branching out phographing other birds but it all gave me a lot of pleasure.

no not really but have got less tolerant of those that think shooting started when they did some of us remember when you didn't need lead alternatives and multi chokes hadn't been thought of. Last couple of seasons gone back to beating in the right place a shoot that knows you need everyone I find it a good crack turned down loading jobs on some estates because I would not enjoy it went beating instead. Do what you enjoy sod what folk think that's my view. My advice do not rush into flogging stuff off. Like Fenboy a new dog keeps you fresh

Couldn't decide whether to put the following in the 'off topic' section but as above title really?

I've been beating since about 6, shotgun licence at 10 and been shooting a lot for the last 14 years. I'd say I would go out most weekends in winter and a bit over the summer. Have to say that recently though I've been pretty fed up with it. It's not often I go out and don't get a few birds but I find getting through them more of a chore these days and that defeats the purpose really? Both my brother and old man shoot as well so if we're all out separately at the weekends you can be a bit oversubscribed with meat and the freezer gradually gets filled up more than stuff gets taken out,(I do give the odd birds away).

Added to that is that if you go looking for somewhere new, there's always stepping on other folks toes. I know a lot of folk who would stab each other in the back for shooting ground and it's just not my thing.

Has anyone on here packed the shooting in for the short or long term? Don't think I should sell my guns as yet but I'm tempted give it a rest for a while.

Maybe wildlife photography would be a similar avenue to go down as an alternative? I also find that with shooting being a controversial subject you have to try and be descrete about everything..

Normally I'd be the first one out at the crack of dawn but it just doesn't do it for me any more. Would be interested to hear if anyone else has done the same thing. I can't be the only one :lol:

Apologies for the ramble!

I had a break of about 4 yrs when I only had an airgun (mainly because I had never been without a gun of some sort). I was working too much 7 days 360 in the year for the first 2 yrs of that and was hardly ever home so the last thing on my mind was going away shooting. The biggest issue is you tend to loose the shooting you built up, for me it was no big thing because I had stopped going anyhow so that was a done deal.

A change is as good as a rest mostly, swap tools and swap quarry and when it gets easy you need to handicap yourself

I always shot September to April and fished from May till August but started decoying through the summer for the last few years and know what I miss that little buzz I'd get on the first day of september so maybe that four month break is what I needed but I do love the decoying and don't know what the best solution is so I suppose the point I'm struggling to make is a change is as good as a rest and even though I havent fished regularly for the last few years I would never sell all my fishing tackle but maybe I should start fishing again and get the september buzz back damn it I'm confused again there hope your happy

I shot most of my life and gave up for 8 years to become a football coach to inner city kids who fell foul of the law (very rewarding to see some graduate from uni).

Anyway got back into my shooting and couldn't believe how much I'd missed it.

Point is take a break fella,try your hand at something else maybe.

Jim

I've been through this for over a year now. I used to be out several times per week but until just recently it wasn't unheard of for me to not go out for months at a time. I'm still not super keen but I can't stand the thought of giving up. I've met some of my best friends through shooting and still love being outdoors.

My advice is to give the guns a good clean and chuck them back in the safe. Unless you have land owners that need you just take some time out. If you are needed then have a word with them and get a mate to cover for you. That way the door will still be open when you decide to go back.

Yes, not regularly but certainly more than once.

Unlike some (it would seem at least) it isn't my only hobby, tbh I have plenty and shooting is just one of them - so if I get a bit bored I just jump onto one of the others for a bit or mix it up.

The one thing you shouldn't do unless the boredom really becomes long term is sell up - IMO.

I started when I was 13,with an air rifle,it was a weirauch HW35,then graduated to shotgun at 17,then rifles at about 22,i stopped shooting for a while when I moved from the area I grew up,leaving all my permissions behind,and I had a lot,took up sea fishing very soon after moving area,but always had the urge to get back to shooting,i got back into it after 5 years of competitive sea angling,and since then my permissions have grown to more than I had before,id never give it up again..............LOVE IT............DAZ

Not been shooting for long compared to some of the guys commenting but i did start thinking shooting was becoming a bit of a chore, it didnt help that i bought a semi auto (and have OCD) so after every use i have to strip it down completely and clean it lol. instead of going shooting once or twice a week i've cut right down to just once a month. i am actually eager to go shooting when the time comes and my scores (i shoot clays) have risen noticeably.

Everything in moderations as they say...

No, but I have moved my interests from one discipline to another over the year, started off with beating and ferreting as a kid, then started some rough shooting as a teenager, started wildfowling and joined a small DIY farm game shoot as well as doing many miles looking for (and getting) pigeon decoying. Never really reached a peak, ie hitting the 'heights' (!) of regular driven game on proper shoots I still do a lot of shooting related activity but very little actual trigger pulling.

The last few years I have settled on running my own small DIY game shoot (playing at gamekeeping), beating, wildfowling and deerstalking, with the very occasional driven pheasant day as a treat.

So my advice would be to do something different.

I am similar. I shoot. I shoot photography. I fish. I do fitness 'things'. I dive. I take advantage of what i have available at the moment. Right now that means shooting and dog work with running taking up the rest of my free time (half marathon in 5 weeks today). I haven't been fishing in a while, but i will get the itch soon and scratch it. During the shooting season i even switch around with driven shooting, working the dogs, waiting for geese, taking pictures on the shoot. Don't get rid of any kit and pick your fancy on the day.

Rick

I had a break of 7 ish years with maybe only a slack handful of time i shot in those years.

Got heavily into fishing an just seemed to not be bothered to shoot,

Then one day went up to Kelbrook for a shoot with my father as we hadn't been shooting together for a long time.

Had a enjoyable time and as we were paying at the end I spotted a teknys in the shop. I've always liked autos and was struggling with a 682 gold e which was giving me cheek slap and could have been the reason why I lost interest in shooting.

A deal was done and off I went with the teknys and have never looked back. Fast forward 3 years and I now shoot at least twice a week, more if possible and absolutely LOVE it.

A little break can make all the difference. Always helped with a new toy!!

Yep I get bored of shooting at times :yes: I think I actually enjoy the peace and quiet of sitting in the hide more than the actual shooting :yes: can't beat escaping the rat race for a few hour's :good: BB

On occasion I've been to my perm and ended up helping my farmer fix fences/ lambing/etc and not even got the gun out of the slip.

I totally agree with you it's sometimes about escaping the rat race especially the rat race of London.

i dont think i get bored of shooting,but i now have arthritus in my knees and when once over i could walk round the farms all day long,now i struggle with 4-5 hrs and the thought of the pain in my legs after shooting,does sometimes make me think twice about going,so i do tend not to go as often as i used to

Yes, I find over the years my self imposed non shoot break has gone from April only 50 years ago through to more or less Jan - May unless foxes start taking lambs. Even after that with no rabbits to speak of these days once the corvids have had a hammering then its a odd look round with a lamp and thats it. I let another member here do most of my foxing together with the guy who is the keeper here.

Had we rabbits in abundance then I would be far more active in summer with the rifles.

A

have you thought about taking a youngster under your wing or a newbie ? it can be very rewarding passing on your knowledge :yes:

I have taken on a couple of older guys and usually try to introduce a nice a year to driven pheasant shooting. I used to coach cricket with the county youth squads and found that very rewarding then the family came along and I did not have time.

Might think about taking on a youngster as I am shoot co captain and beat keeper as well so lots to do for most of the year.

Thanks

A