A day out and a future pigeon shooter hooked?

Wilts#Dave

Well, another weekend comes round and another day out in the hide beckoned. Where abouts was undecided but one of two fields looked like the only places to choose from. One was a block of peas we’ve been shooting over, where we shot 65 last Friday in an hour and a half before we had to pack up when the farmer arrived to cultivate it…..and frustrating as that was (birds were pouring in), he’d said we could shoot it again at our leisure if the pigeons carried on using the field. Looking on the Sunday I was gutted to see 2 hides, one on each field with both hides banging away and surrounded by dead birds….a not so local ‘guide’ who turns up on the stubbles had got 2 foreign clients set up so that was our chances of a big day ruined.

The field was still showing a few birds when I drove round on Friday afternoon after finishing work early but after being shot so heavily less than a week ago I wasn’t particularly excited at the prospect of it. Another favourite couple of fields of mine (wheat) I’d been waiting for had been combined on the Wednesday/Thursday so were my next port of call, only to see the baler still working away so would have to just look Saturday morning and hope for the best.

We checked the peas first at around 12 o clock, and as expected a few birds were on the field but with no strong flightline decided to knock that on the head and check the wheat stubble instead…..upon arrival into the field a good few pigeons were happily feeding away with the odd visitor joining. Half an hour of watching saw the usual flightline start so time to give it a go and set up! A rotary and five flock coated half shells started things off, and the first 5 came quickly before a pretty steady afternoon of mainly flighting shots with the odd bird really committing and offering an easier chance. By 4.15 I’d shot around the 50 mark and was thinking about packing up when the farmers young son Rob appeared (they were bale hauling in the field behind) saying he’d been watching and when he saw it was me wanted to come and have a look. Now I'll say now, Rob’s probably the nicest most polite 12 year old I know, and mad on anything shooting related. I’ve mentioned in passing I'd take him out for a day in the hide at some point to show him the basics when he was free but hadn’t managed to so far this year. So with him keen as mustard I said he was welcome to come and sit in with me for the last hour but the best of the shooting was over unfortunately so it might not be very exciting…..undeterred he was then routed to the seat next to me peering through the net to try and spot anything coming quicker than I could. As if he was my lucky mascot a late return flight started almost instantly and the following hour and a half saw some great sport, with birds dropping in from a long way off and plenty of crackers hit down as they flew back over the hide. He couldn’t wait to go out and pick up any wounded birds and it genuinely was such a pleasure to have someone so enthusiastic sat next to me, brought back memories of myself as a youngster at his age! Anyway, in the hour and a half he was with me I shot 25 birds at least, and we counted up exactly 75 at the end of play with only one lodged in the hedge that couldn’t be picked. Young Rob was grinning from ear to ear the whole time, and an excited young lad was delivered back to the farm to tell mum and dad all about it (boring them to tears no doubt)….he’s now itching to get that 20 bore he’s been talking about, and I’m sure it won’t be the last I see of him, another youngster hooked as I was after my first outing in a hide?? Not the biggest bag of the year by any means but one of the most satisfying!

Pictures aren't the best, camera on my phone won't focus properly for some unknown reason.

7410A0ED-EA4C-44D2-B52D-EA25DB6E8854.jpg

C953B768-10B0-4C06-9B08-46CF00CFBFF0.jpg

Two points.

Firstly, well done for having the young chap in your hide.

Secondly, although it has never happened to me, I can imagine that the only thing worse than being 'tractored off' a field is seeing some foreign shooters placed there by an Agent banging away. Gut wrenching I imagine.

Thanks for the replies, It was so refreshing to see a youngster as keen as I was on shooting at his age I couldn't help but invite him in the hide when it was obvious that's what he was after!

I was lucky enough to be invited on a driven pheasant day last year on the farm as a thank you for a big electrical job I'd been doing and Rob was there beating in full shooting tweeds taking it all very seriously, I certainly don't think it's the last I'll see of him when it comes to pigeon shooting!

Two points.

Firstly, well done for having the young chap in your hide.

Secondly, although it has never happened to me, I can imagine that the only thing worse than being 'tractored off' a field is seeing some foreign shooters placed there by an Agent banging away. Gut wrenching I imagine.

Thanks J Dog. Your second point, bang on the money there....was bad enough having to pack in when the birds were pouring in but the foreigners were the nail in the coffin!! The particular field was where we'd shot our biggest bag of the year a month before and I had to carry all 175 half a mile back to the 4x4 so was looking forward to stubble/driving!

I've no issue with sharing with fellow pigeon shooters like ourselves (that's bad enough haha) but this particular guide is a total pain the *** as far as I'm concerned, always setting up the hides etc at first light and putting out multiple guns just blows the whole area up in the process. He's ruined several good days we had lined up in the past and always seems to get the tip off just at the right time (money talks I guess). Dad and I are local to the area and as such spend lots of time driving round and finding opportunities so it is frustrating......fingers crossed one like him doesn't dip his toe in your area, this particular guy has no scruples when it comes to getting shooting.

Hi Dave,

if I'm right I believe that's Ian's son ? If so he is a cracking lad and as you say mad keen on anything shooting related. He even had his own pen to look after last year !! I think we may of met at the first shoot of the season last year.

Cheers

Adrian

Hi Adrian,

It is indeed young Rob, Ian's son. Was a pleasure to have him in the hide and give him his first taste of decoying so to speak! I've been shooting pigeons on the farm with my Dad since I was Rob's age so nice to see him so keen!

I was at the first shoot of last year yes so we must of met then, I'm much better than faces than I am with names so would recognise you if we met again. Were you beating/shooting?

Hi Adrian,

It is indeed young Rob, Ian's son. Was a pleasure to have him in the hide and give him his first taste of decoying so to speak! I've been shooting pigeons on the farm with my Dad since I was Rob's age so nice to see him so keen!

I was at the first shoot of last year yes so we must of met then, I'm much better than faces than I am with names so would recognise you if we met again. Were you beating/shooting?

Hello Dave,

I go beating on that shoot. It's good fun and there's some nice people there. Also nice to have a day off in the week (which is always better than working). I'm part of a syndicate in the next valley over and we buy our wheat from Pete and Ian. If your there this coming season I'll make sure to introduce myself. I think the first day is the 28th October.

Cheers Adrian

Hello Dave,

I go beating on that shoot. It's good fun and there's some nice people there. Also nice to have a day off in the week (which is always better than working). I'm part of a syndicate in the next valley over and we buy our wheat from Pete and Ian. If your there this coming season I'll make sure to introduce myself. I think the first day is the 28th October.

Cheers Adrian

Look forward to meeting you again Adrian if I'm there again this coming season, hope your pheasants are well too!

Cheers

Dave