Best scope for up to £200

srspower

i have mtc genesis on my .22 ,to much mag really but i bought it mainly for the AMD reticle,which i think is a cracking ret for a .22,plenty of holdover marks, not to cluttered and good glass,slightly more than your budget but a used one went on here for £225 not so long back

In all honesty you don't need plenty of zoom and a 50mm obj on a .22, you will be shooting most of the time maximum 100 yards, a Simmons white tail classic will be plenty, a 3.5-10x40 will do you well

I thought a wide objective lens would be a good idea for low light and lamping conditions? Apologies for my lack of knowledge, hunting with rimfires is new to me. With zoom I often use all 9 magnification on my air rifle at distances a lot closer than 100 yards! But 10 or 12 is certainly a fair bit.

IMHO your better with slightly older but better glass on a 22, you should be able to find a bit of german glass in 6x42 or there abouts. Things like Pecars come up on evil bay from time to time in your price bracket with change for zeroing ammo.

I just looked them up, very interesting! Seems their scopes are designed so the reticle actually moves as you adjust it. Quite funky.

Agree with the above posts. However, if you have an itch that has to be scratched, you could try a Leapers Accushot SWAT 30mm 4-16x56. I bought a rifle with one already fitted and liked it so much I moved it to the 22 Hornet.

To be fair when I said plenty of zoom I didn't mean quite that much! Would trade some of the zoom for a wider lens.

i have mtc genesis on my .22 ,to much mag really but i bought it mainly for the AMD reticle,which i think is a cracking ret for a .22,plenty of holdover marks, not to cluttered and good glass,slightly more than your budget but a used one went on here for £225 not so long back

My friend Tom has a MTC, very nice scope! I will have to have a look I guess.

For that money, a second hand Meopta 7x50. Brilliant scope, amazing low light gathering and you won't need any more mag for a .22lr

Often you see them for sale that have paint faults but don't let that put you off.

Jonathan

I can attest to that, having purchased one from Jonathan. Was out with it at the weekend and it's a crack of bit of kit, now I have worked out how to change the eye relief ;)

I've got one of these http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/hawke-sidewinder-tac-30-scope-4-5-14x42-/291238266824?pt=UK_SportingGoods_Hunting_ShootingSports_ET&hash=item43cf2747c8#ht_38wt_1190

On my .22LR and it's great! So good infact I'm thinking of getting another to go on my .243 instead of my Bushnell Elite.

Edited by Spook

Strange, I've got three Hawke scopes (2x30mm tube side focus and a 1" Panorama EV) and they are superb. I rate the 30mm tube Hawkes higher than my Bushnell Elite and I prefer any of them to my Platinum Night eater. None of them suffer with whiting out when lamping, the glass is crisp right to the edge and the zero never shifts. Have you had bad experience with the cheaper end of the range?? For what it's worth I don't think the Panorama EV actually increases the field of view - but that's my only gripe.

Surprised no ones recommended the MTC range of scopes yet.

You are buying a t-bolt, presumably because it's a nice to handle light rifle.

Dont underestimate how your enjoyment will be diminished by the time a bipod and 2 pounds of glass are added.

My hmr has just a light 6x40, twice now i have upgraded to bigger scope, first a mamba lite which stayed there for a couple of weeks

and then 6x40 replaced..... 6 months later a hawke 3-9x50 sport was fitted but taken off after a couple of nights shooting..

Keep lusting after better, but 400 gms is absolute max weight for scope for me.

Put a white tail classic 1.5x5x22 on my mates bruno three years ago and apart from changes in ammo brands never had to rezero it, they are in lack of a better word bulletproof, 5x mag seems to be fine for his .22, lens clarity and image definition is awesome, good light gathering on the lamp as well for such a small objective lens, believe more and more people use them for driven boar nowerdays, hard to come by but worth the looking .

In all honesty you don't need plenty of zoom and a 50mm obj on a .22, you will be shooting most of the time maximum 100 yards, a Simmons white tail classic will be plenty, a 3.5-10x40 will do you well

On reading the thread title I was going to say Sommons WTC in whatever flavour you choose.

Edit: Or even Simmons, drunken fingers!

Edited by Muddy Funker

Put a white tail classic 1.5x5x22 on my mates bruno three years ago and apart from changes in ammo brands never had to rezero it, they are in lack of a better word bulletproof, 5x mag seems to be fine for his .22, lens clarity and image definition is awesome, good light gathering on the lamp as well for such a small objective lens, believe more and more people use them for driven boar nowerdays, hard to come by but worth the looking .

On reading the thread title I was going to say Sommons WTC in whatever flavour you choose.

Yup. And where the little 1.5-5 is concerned, don't be put off by the small objective size. It's awesome and gathers light light a light gathering thing. Plenty good for any .22rf.