How do you wash your car?

malkiserow

I saw a waterless wash today and It got me thinking about what wash process you all use when you do it yourselves.

The old one was washing up liquid in a bucket and a cloth or sponge followed by a blast with the hose.

But then there is wax in soaps now....l special microfiber cloths, soft rubber blades to pull the water off afterwards. It goes on.

What happened to chamois leathers?

What promised the 'worlds best wash' but was a marketing gimmick?

What is the dogs danglies and you still use?

What is your chosen method?

Edited by malkiserow

Was the main car every couple of weeks,but the 4x4 never,only keep the lights and number plate clean on that, never been washed in 3 yrs,dont need to hoover it out either as I ripped out all tbe carpets and roof lining out. Probably get a few more mpg if I could be ***** to pick all the brass of the floors

Edited by Davyo

Pressure wash to rinse off dirt, then bucket of warm water with turtle wax wash, pressure wash off the foam, then chamois leather down til nice and shiny. Oh and wonder wheels for the alloys.

Or allow the Poles to do the job for me.

+1 for the poles they do a great job in a fraction of the time it takes me and for £15 :good::good:

colin

Here is how I get it done, wash wheels, snow foam the car and sash brush crevices, door jams, grills badges etc. Pressure washer rinse then two bucket method wash the car followed by pressure wash rinse and then dry. I use meguiars professional range for most things with micro fiber cloths. I used to professionally valet and detail, gave up two years ago as moved out of my patch. Lots of choices for products. Like most things you get the best results by using dedicated products for the job instead of a three in one affair. Tried waterless and is fine for a motorbike but that's it I felt. If your car was that clean you could just use a quick detailer and save a wad of cash compared to gimmicks you see. Glad I have a permission now as its too muddy for me to care to clean it. Snow foamed it last week and used a split bristle brush all over, rinsed it down and thought job done. Nice to do it properly but not on the work horse.

Edited by onatangent

If my son don't do it, it sometimes goes to the local immigrants car wash or in summer I'll do it a few times with one dry wash as it looks great after. Washed it with some of my sons expensive detailing stuff this weekend as it was filthy.

My little rav gets a rub over with a brush and whatever is left in the bucket after finishing the car, then a quick rinse.

Have found if waxed a few times a year it stays cleaner and the paint don't chip and scratch as much.

Figgy

I use the local Romanian car wash they are absolutely brilliant,it comes back gleaming and smelling lovely.It`s not worth bothering doing it yourself any more.[/quote

It is really if you don't like the foreign wash brigade doing your car with cheap products. My real complaint with them is from my experience when working Bristol was not one complied with water waste regulations and dumped into the open drains where as bunded my waste and disposed of it properly with written permission. Murphys law, if I didn't was a possible 50k fine and or a custodial sentence. Being mobile you never knew who was going to be the next customer. My luck would have been my local water rep

Edited by onatangent

I take the family carrier to the local Romanian one in our Homebase, great job in and out n about 15 mins for a £12 (outside wash and polish and inside hoover and clean)...

Then the Vitara get's the rain treatment, couldn't take it to the Romanian guys, the pressure washers may make a door fall off haha.

Also, I worry a little about pressure washing under a 4X4, don't like the idea of pushing mud further into the joints etc...