An encounter to regale.

JDog

Yesterday's decoying session on wheat stubble where I set up on the double electricity poles did not go without incident.

The land is the only ground I have anywhere near a town but there is not a single footpath or track anywhere near it. When an old 4x4 pulled into a gateway in my view and disgorged two people and three dogs I was bemused. This gaggle proceeded towards me so I took off my cap (that may have frightened them off), unloaded my gun and stepped out of my hide in their view as they continued towards me.

Their procession was some sight. When they got close up I could see a very fat man wearing trainers, joggy bottoms, a T shirt that was too small revealing 4" of fat belly, tattoos including a swastika on his neck, an earring and a shaven head. His wife was a similar shape but had no tattoos as far as I could see and I had no intention of finding out if there were any hidden away. There were three dogs. Had these people been able to conceive dogs between them they would have looked like the ones in front of me.

I offered a cordial greeting which I felt fell on stony ground, trying desperately not to break into laughter at the caricatures in front of me. 'Do you own this land?' was his first offering. I later found out that this was disingenuous as he knew the owner full well. When I told him that no I didn't but that I had consent to shoot there and informed him of the name and address of the land owner he looked bemused somewhat. The story appeared to be that he had had the pigeon shooting on that ground for many years, going back to a previous owner, but that he hadn't been out for five years. I suspect that he was now too immobile to carry kit and set up as the rest of us have to do.

Whilst chatting he looked over to my decoys, all of which at this stage were real birds on spikes, and said......'would you believe it? Pigeons would never sit around like that if you had a gun'. I gently appraised him of the actuality.

He then told me that his son would like to do some pigeon shooting and in order to get through what was a fairly stiff meeting I said that if he gave me his son's phone number I would call him the next time I was out that way and ask him out and give him the benefit of my limited experience in these matters. I had no phone on me so he said he would return another time and post the boys number on one of the poles my hide was fashioned around. We shook hands and the team ambled off back to their car which took an age and during which I passed up a number of opportunities to shoot incoming pigeons.

An hour later I heard a young man shouting my name and saw this cammo clad figure heading towards me. I unloaded and beckoned him into the hide. This was the 'son' previously referred to, a personable lad of about twenty years of age. He was keen to learn and told me of his decoying experiences to date. He had a good grasp of agricultural practices which will help. During his time in the hide with me I shot 9 birds with ten shots including three screamers on the return line back into town. He is keen to come out with me and I will take him.

Edited by JDog

The fat under the t-shirt look is not great is it , I told Mrs fenboy I would purchase some longer ones.

Well done on not judging a book by its cover and giving the lad chance to learn the ropes.

I now have a picture stuck in my mind what the dogs looked like though !

The fat under the t-shirt look is not great is it , I told Mrs fenboy I would purchase some longer ones.

Well done on not judging a book by its cover and giving the lad chance to learn the ropes.

I now have a picture stuck in my mind what the dogs looked like though !

me too fen boy lmao. Nice write up as usual Jdog was the final count 9 or were there more ?

Atb ezi.

I would of approached the situation exactly the same,mostly people are fine and just curious but one day this guy came across to the hide and said you shouldn,t be shooting here, I said why not then he accused me of shooting racing pigeons and how can you tell the difference between woodpigeon and racing pigeon, so I just said have a look around the decoys if you find 1 racing pigeon I'll stop shooting also the farmer is in the yard he knows i,m here go and have a chat with him if you like and whilst you do that I,m gonna carry on shooting in the end he didn,t go and see the farmer and I carried on