Amorous lab!

Brân

Hi everyone. As a new member posting for the first time im after some advice.

I have an eight year old uncastrated lab who ive been training as a gun dog for the last year or so, and was quite amazed how naturally he took to it. He's retreving and carrying well and has no problem in holding the retreve untill told to give, hes also responding well to different whistle comands, and loves coming out with me training.

He's used to being out with my brother in law's young female lab and doesn't show any interest in her. But when i took him out with four or five other working dogs last night, he instantly took a liking to one of the spanniels, who's owner thought she might be coming into season. As you can imagine it was as if he'd instanly forgotten all he's been taught, and spent the whole night trying to get to her, and so was kept on a lead.

Is there anything i can do to help with this behaviour eg going back to basics with heel and stay comands, or am i fighting a losing battle against natural instinct?

My local vet also mentioned once that you can chemically castrate male dogs with an injection which lasts for around six months. Is this worth looking into? It sounded a bit extreme at the time.

Thanks for any advice.

I could have my full dog off the lead around dogs in season and control him but to say he was distracted was an understatement and of no use whatsoever. Take my eye off him and was trying to get some action. Result I had his undercarriage removed, all the better for it but not suitable for all dogs. Friend of mines cocker has never been in tact and is like a rat up a drain pipe at every opportunity. Not fair to have a dog in season in mixed company. Makes for a long day I would imagine especially if your dog has to be kept on the lead.

Well said the last 3 post's. Height of ignorance really

Also from the way i read ur post that was the first time u have took ur dog to group training?

If that is the case the extra excitement smellls and noise etc will always cause ur dog to go back a step or 2,once it get's more used to it it will calm down and act more like normal.

Amazing how often u see a dog that is reeasonably well trained on its own but tends to go 'mad' the first few shoots as not used to working with other dogs in a shoot environment, just too much excitment

If your dog does not understand the command leve it then take his balls off, we have no more rights out with a amorous dog than any other shooter with a bitch coming into season than a bitch in full season, we shooters with dogs expect a little much don't you think.

If your dog does not understand the command leve it then take his balls off, we have no more rights out with a amorous dog than any other shooter with a bitch coming into season than a bitch in full season, we shooters with dogs expect a little much don't you think.

I'm sorry but I have to disagree. How would you feel if you had a brand new Ferrari on the drive running, taxed and insured in your name with a tank full of fuel but your wife said no...... ... Would you be able to resist the urge?!?! :lol::lol:

I'm sorry but I have to disagree. How would you feel if you had a brand new Ferrari on the drive running, taxed and insured in your name with a tank full of fuel but your wife said no...... ... Would you be able to resist the urge?!?! :lol::lol:

I'm not going to disagree with you as I've had a lab that would hunt down a bitch in season from miles away, his fate at two years was to have his balls off, he was put down last year at 14 years and was a good gundog, my current young dog will not entertain a bitch in season as he knows whats coming if he fails to adhere to the command leve it.

I'm not going to disagree with you as I've had a lab that would hunt down a bitch in season from miles away, his fate at two years was to have his balls off, he was put down last year at 14 years and was a good gundog, my current young dog will not entertain a bitch in season as he knows whats coming if he fails to adhere to the command leve it.

don't be crazy the dog cannot possibly understand such a threat / consequence.

Rubbish, obviously hasn't matured.

Not sure if matured plays a part. I have seen castrated old dogs trying to hump male full dogs. In the interest of responsibility and unwanted pups it would really be better to keep the bitch at home. Cheaper than homing and vets bills for pups and the persistent shouts of leave it spoiling the shoot.

But that is a show of dominance, humping other males.

Lots of people come on these threads giving advise all things related to gundog training yet they can't control there on dogs funny that maybe Bazooka was right all along maybe if you have no control you should consider keeping your dogs at home.

It's not about control it's a hormonal response, unless of course your dog is so scared of a consequence from you. That is why people usually have the manners to leave bitches in season at home if working with other dogs.