Amorous lab!

Brân

Well if you new anything about trailing you would know that bitches are not allowed in trails (in season), on the foreshore the man with one dog that happens to be a bitch you would expect him to miss out a month of his short season to please the likes of you and me that have dogs,he needs that bitch to work and I for one don't have a problem with him working her.

Edited by E.w.

Only problem is when she is ready for mating her mind won't be on the job in hand either, she will be looking for a mate. In the meantime she could disrupt the day for everyone with a male dog in the area ( and neutering doesn't always stop the male urge)

Dog shows, agility flyball, fieldtrials etc Every organised dog activity that you have to enter for has a rule " no bitches in season" for a reason. If someone chooses to have an intact bitch, they should be prepared to have a few weeks not working her each year.

Also there is the risk that when the bitch is out retrieving she will get mated by another breed of dog. Good as some of these crossbreed gundog puppies or even if it is of the same breed the planning and preparation that are best practice for a litter will not be in place which is undesirable. An unplanned pregnancy will take her out of working for even longer and more of the season lost.

As I've said I don't have a problem with bitches as I keep four bitches and one dog but some people might.

Out of interest, do your bitches come into season at the same time. Just something I have heard, that bitches kept together will come into season together. Never had more than one bitch at a time myself so don't know if this is true or not.

Out of interest, do your bitches come into season at the same time. Just something I have heard, that bitches kept together will come into season together. Never had more than one bitch at a time myself so don't know if this is true or not.

Funny you should mention that two of the bitches come into season within day of each other but thought nothing more of it until you mentioned it.

I run five bitches and on occasions one in season will bring in another, or sometimes a third also.

It may or may not be having bitches together tho, not really sure on that.

Mine are Labs & Cockers and normally it happens with two bitches of the same breed.

Not every time tho and never had more than three in season together ..... that would really shaft my picking up!

DaveL

Well if you new anything about trailing you would know that bitches are not allowed in trails (in season), on the foreshore the man with one dog that happens to be a bitch you would expect him to miss out a month of his short season to please the likes of you and me that have dogs,he needs that bitch to work and I for one don't have a problem with him working her.

Yes I certainly would expect that guy to leave her at home, besides the obvious distraction they can be a bit do-dah loopy at such times and also at a higher risk of womb infection from the marsh and lets face it there is a lot of sitting in stinky goo involved I have been told. I choose dogs now to overcome the whole loosing part of the season thing

I had a GSD that I was planning having spayed after her next season. She came down with pyometra just after her season finished which resulted in a trip to the vets and an emergency spay. We nearly lost her and she hadn't been anywhere wet or dirty in particular. Would not take the risk myself.

The festered smell of some of the Marshes and the black muck that comes up is too high a risk for a bitch that is wide open to infection.