disco 300 rear filter pot

Albert 888

Go on then the 10mm headed bolt to remove the pot is dim goodio. Tried with flat sided socket and star type ones,ring spanners and conventional ones still no good won't undo due to spanners not fitting correctly due to rust. Had the mole grips and slip joint pliers on it also. What's the next step,grinder saw file or just buy a new pot and through away the old one. Will remove from the chassey tonight maybe and stick it in the vise. Ps I'm not incompetent I am quite handy with spanners as it's my job.

1. If you can get at the nut, with it off the car and there is no fuel in it - I would weld a nut onto the old nut.

2. You could hammer a smaller socket on, which would get it off, but this solves only the short term.

3. Rotary stud extractor.

Edited by Gordon R

It's looking like I'm going to take it off and put the head of the bolt in the vice and turn the filter to remove,no room for the welding touch to get in and its only a 6mm bolt with a 10mm head.I will fit a new bolt and copperplip up. Problem is the bracket is held on by what appears to be two 12mm bolts which will have to be removed with the grinder. Thanks for the advice

By pass it and fit a trap under bonnet pre lift pump, they're a right pain if you do some off roadng and get a bit of brash caught up in the prop it'll rip the trap filter clean off and if your unlucky all the pipe work with it, so just bypass tidily

Edited by Paul223

By pass it and fit a trap under bonnet pre lift pump, they're a right pain if you do some off roadng and get a bit of brash caught up in the prop it'll rip the trap filter clean off and if your unlucky all the pipe work with it, so just bypass tidily

That's a good idea cheers, will remove it joint the fuel line remove the bolt clean it up and replace the bolt and stick it under the bonnet. I do off road in it with the big boys and their 110's. I managed to undo the drain plug without breaking it,the cloudy water and chip fat that came out didn't look the best,and it does rev a little higher now but still not the best will clean the filter when it's off and replace the main filter when sorted.

Cheers Albert.