Cat shot with .22 rimfire in public place

rogcal

I received the following alert from my local police force today the content of which is self explanatory:

This is a message from PCSO ******** from the Sleaford neighbourhood policing team. We have had an incident involving a cat being shot and seriously injured. It was shot with a .22 rimfire rifle, the cat was unfortunately hit in the leg, shattering its femur and as a result has had to have its leg amputated. We believe this to have happened sometime on Friday night on 05/09/14, in or around Sleaford woods.

This is a strictly no shooting area. If you see anyone with a gun, or evidence to suggest they've been shooting in this area, then please contact

My question is, if the round has been recovered from the cat then it confirms that someone is in the possession of and using a .22 rimmy in a public place which is very worrying on two points:

1. is the shooter in legal possession of the weapon and in which case he/she is a total ********* moron or more worryingly

2. is the shooter in illegal possession of the weapon.

My secondary question is, if the round was not recovered assumptions may have been made as to the type of weapon used.

Would a high powered non FAC .22 air rifle used at close range be capable of causing similar injuries to a small animal such as a cat that would be inflicted by a .22 rimfire being shot from a greater distance?

I'm no cat lover but it *********me off big time that idiots are loose out their and by their very actions are giving more ammunition to those in the anti shooting lobby who want to see our rights curtailed even more.

p.s. I have messaged the author of the alert asking if the .22 rf round was recovered,

Who's twisting knickers ???

Thanks Dougy. :good:

I may be wearing old mans under thingies that could easily get twisted but I'm far from getting uptight about this incident and I'm merely asking others what's the possibility of it being an air weapon and expressing my concerns at the same time.

I'm also concerned that Scotland may leave the United Kingdom but on that matter my under thingies are most definitely remaining loose. :rolleyes:

Edited by rogcal

Std .22 air rifle could do that and exit. How do they know were the cat was? Those things can range miles further than many owners think. I dislike cats wandering the countryside as they do lots of harm to native wildlife and do not take any balance into the equasion as they can be and still are fed at home once their prey is depleated. shooting one in the leg is as inexcusable to me though as having one saved only to hop around on three legs for the rest of its life

As it seems that a bit of thread drift has occurred in respect of the merits of shooting cats, may I ask where forum members stand on the issue of feral cats.

Should they be left to live their lives unhindered or should they be culled on the basis that wildlife sufferers when they appear on your land.

On the matter of rodent control, yes feral cats do take rats and mice along with rabbits and hares but there are many other predators that take this prey as well but the carnage caused among the bird population when a cat comes on the scene can be appalling, particularly in the spring when birds foraging for food for their young and become very easy prey for felines.

Finally, what's the legality on shooting a feral cat on your own land?

p.s I currently use a trap and pass any feral cats I catch onto an animal rescue organisation who mostly have them put down due to their aggression.

p.p.s Just for the record I live very remotely and domestic cats are not an issue, just the occasional feral version.

Edited by rogcal

As it seems that a bit of thread drift has occurred in respect of the merits of shooting cats, may I ask where forum members stand on the issue of feral cats.

Should they be left to live their lives unhindered or should they be culled on the basis that wildlife sufferers when they appear on your land.

On the matter of rodent control, yes feral cats do take rats and mice along with rabbits and hares but there are many other predators that take this prey as well but the carnage caused among the bird population when a cat comes on the scene can be appalling, particularly in the spring when birds foraging for food for their young and become very easy prey for felines.

Finally, what's the legality on shooting a feral cat on your own land?

p.s I currently use a trap and pass any feral cats I catch onto an animal rescue organisation who mostly have them put down due to their aggression.

Lets face facts there has to be differences between a release pen or conservation site and a housing estate as much as I might like to see a shoot on sight law for all cats away from home it wont ever happen. The real Cat people I have known don't allow their cats out, the cat is seen as a low maintenance pet for the masses

Lets face facts there has to be differences between a release pen or conservation site and a housing estate as much as I might like to see a shoot on sight law for all cats away from home it wont ever happen. The real Cat people I have known don't allow their cats out, the cat is seen as a low maintenance pet for the masses

We have several cats at the farm the exact number varies, we do not allow the cats in they stink usually of silage. The cats are seen as zero cost zero maintenance pest controllers.

We have several cats at the farm the exact number varies, we do not allow the cats in they stink usually of silage. The cats are seen as zero cost zero maintenance pest controllers.

Similar here. We've got 3 cats on our smallholding. I know of a couple of other ferals/abandoned cats in the area, they regularly sleep in our barns. They are all pest controllers, and highly effective, for basic cat food costs, and the (very) occasional vet bill. Mice, rats, rabbits are the primary prey, the occasional grey squirrel too. Some songbirds as well, but I manage that problem to a large extent by ensuring that low branches are removed from trees, bird feeders in winter are placed on posts in wide open areas to remove 'ambush' spots for the cats. In addition, putting the feeders out in the open means that any grey squirrels have to hit the ground while heading back for trees (did I mention that I don't play fair ?)

Interestingly, none of the cats has ever even tried to take out our free range chickens, or the pheasants we get round the birdfeeders in winter. Though one of them has been known to cause grief to foxes (which led to one of those said foxes getting 42g of BB a few months ago)

There's an old country saying :

If you haven't got cats, you've got mice

I can see the argument for and against shooting feral cats or cats. No one would blink an eye if they shot my pet pigeon that goes for a fly with his buddies and sometimes comes back for extra food and attention. Surely if its a problem pest type issue and is roaming free then can it not become quarry, edible or otherwise? I know consideration has to be given because people become attached to their pets so much so that they let them run wild eating anything in their path. Must try that with the kids, save some dough and just hose them down weekly. I am in no way saying shoot on sight but to me a cat is just a posh squirrel that lives indoors.....and eats different things....sleeps on your lap. Ok bad comparison but hope you get what I mean.

Edited by onatangent

We have 2 cats on the farm, they live out and are mainly self sufficent. They have a waterproof box with some old jeans in that is near the house and they sleep in there, they are always bringing back mice, voles and occasionally rats.

Apart from when one managed to get a magpie I have never seen them with a bird, they ignore the chickens and will happy come and watvh the german shepherds and spaniels playing fetch in the field

I am not having a few cats keeping rats back. What is really required is a proper and on going pest control plan, A rat will fight back and once the cat leans that most are useless, the outside feeding is IMO more likely to attract rats in.

Not lacking in knowledge of cats either my mother and sister kept loads of them when I was at home, never seen one with a rat though blue tits etc featured very prominently as did mice and voles.

I am not having a few cats keeping rats back. What is really required is a proper and on going pest control plan, A rat will fight back and once the cat leans that most are useless, the outside feeding is IMO more likely to attract rats in.

Not lacking in knowledge of cats either my mother and sister kept loads of them when I was at home, never seen one with a rat though blue tits etc featured very prominently as did mice and voles.

GB

The cats were,t big enough. Darwin and Bala our two 5 kg male cats regularly catch rats and sqirrels, only bird I have seen them catch was a magpie that would keep chacking at Darwin. One day it flew in not seeing him above it in a tree. Darwin jumped out of the tree straight on it mid-air. Amazing catch.