Sealskinz "shooting" or "hunting" gloves?

OJW

I found this discussion on here - http://forums.pigeonwatch.co.uk/forums/topic/189010-best-shooting-gloves/page-2 and want to get a pair of sealskinz gloves.

Any one have any experience with either the "shooting glove" or the "hunting glove" they make?

I need a glove I can shoot and reload with quickly on a couple of driven days. Less bulk the better. The"shooting glove" looks less bulky, but I read a review that said the magnets they have on them to hold back the finger get cartridges stuck to them when you put your hand in your pocket thus flinging them into the mud. Whereas the "hunting gloves" use velcro instead. I'm wondering if the hunting ones are significantly bulkier?

Link to the manufactures page with both pairs of gloves on - http://www.sealskinz.com/UK/gloves/hunting-gloves-black (note I wouldn't be paying £50 for them as seen them half price elsewhere)

Thanks.

OJW

I have a pair of the shooting gloves with Velcro to hold back the trigger fingers. I'm pretty sure that the Velcro was changed for magnets on the updated version of the shooting glove and the hunting gloves just have 'normal' fingers ie. don't fold back. I find that the leather on the finger/palm is thin/supple enough to provide enough 'feel' without the need to fold the finger back anyway. It's also worth noting that the fingers that fold back are NOT waterproof (check website). If I was buying again I'd go for the glove with the normal fixed finger. That said I've worn the gloves in extreme bad weather and whilst my hands remained warm the gloves were not 100% waterproof and not just due to the foldy back trigger fingers. HTH.

Edited by Trevorevans

I have the sealskinz shooting gloves and they are excellent, they are waterproof and wind proof.

IMO it is a question of compromise with winter shooting gloves, if you get a pair of very warm gloves, they are too bulky to shoot iwht.

The sealskinz keep my hands warm enough.

Avoid Macwets, both my pairs fell apart after a year, the seams separate and they are not waterproof.

I found they were cold in the Winter!

Me too, better than nothing but still not exactly warm. Mine are a tight fit so that may have something to do with it. Also, I don't like the magnets, poor design.

Overall they are good for shooting at night, in wet weather and all but the coldest days, certainly better than wool gloves with the index finger cut off anyway.

I have the shooting gloves with the magnets and the magnets annoy me intensely. The gloves themselves are comfortable and just warm enough in my experience, but I have only used them for 100-200 shots at a time at the clay ground. I also tend to carry the gun on my shoulder and grip the warm barrels to keep some heat in my hands.

The magnet on the index finger sits right on your finger nail and when keeping the glove finger in place a couple of times the magnet flicks itself onto the front of the trigger guard which means that your finger nail gets a right rattle at the same time and when your finger is cold is just unpleasant.

If the finger is folded back then no issues other than a cold finger!

Also the cartridges do get stuck onto the magnets when putting hands into a pocket and it is just annoying.

I would not opt for the ones with magnets again.

I have been using winter golf gloves for a number of years. They come in pairs (unlike usual golf gloves) they are Thinsulate backed with a synthetic leather palm and fingers and have a longish cuff. Although they are not waterproof, they are reasonably warm and have good grip and trigger 'feel'. I have not felt the need for a fold back finger and I shoot a double trigger SxS on Game. As they are only around £12 a pair, I have 2 pairs and change them at lunch if they are wet. I bought mine from a local golf course shop, but have seen them on the 'Bay'. Oh, and they are black.

Edited by Westley

I've had a set of sealskins for 12yrs now. Look like a set of wool gloves but have rubber dots on the palms and are 100% waterproof and warm as you could ever need them to be. Even took them snowboarding. Nice and thin to. Worth checking outdoor pursuits shops as anything with words of shooting attached seems to double the price and halve the functionality.

100% waterproof but not very warm for winter fowling. I use them with a couple of petrol hand-warmers in my pockets.

Anything with fold back trigger fingers lets in the water. They are so thin you can handle your gun perfectly normally.

For really cold fowling I use the seal skins inside a pair of Antarctic type gauntlets. Slip the gauntlets off as soon as I hear the geese.