STUBBLE GONE FOR TURNIPS

evo

totally gutted, I,ve waited months for the barley to be cut and no sooner has it been cut but he has told me another farmer is going to plough the field then put turnips in it,

only got a chance to shoot the stubble for 3 hours and the machines have moved in and started to turn over the field,

what I,d like to know is because there is some barley still on the field will it be worth a return trip to shoot the field even when the turnips have been planted,

will it be ok for the crows as there was plenty showing on the stubble or will turning the field over ruin it, also chaps has anyone shot over bloody turnips before as I havn,t ,

thanks in advance for the replies

cheers Evo

All the barley stubble is now drilled with rape on my best permission. I had a go on Thursday which was only a couple of days after drilling and very few decoyed despite sitting under a pretty constant flight line. Of the few that decoyed I ended up with 9, so it seems they learn where the food is pretty quick. Seems like the whole year was a pigeon drought until harvest, then there was a flood of them, now it's stopped again. Roll on winter.

We bang kale / turnips in every year in rotation for the sheep and I find the best bet is to wait a few days after it has been drilled, the crows love the seed once it's started to germinate. If you happen to get the right field on the right day crow bashing can be a cracking way to spend the day.

Fodder turnips will shoot well . I have had some good days on turnips . I assume they are fodder turnips to graze sheep on .

Harnser.

yes it is fodder turnips,,going to give it a go in the morning and see how it goes, they have been drilled in for 4 days now so here goes

atb evo

ps thanks for the replies chaps, feel a little better now, certainly love the crow bashing