Rabbits

Sha Bu Le

Wife got back from town earlier and told me that Ibbitsons the butchers, (don't know if they are just a north eat firm) are selling rabbits pre vacuum packed cleaned and skinned for..................................£7

I'm guessing they will be farmed but it's just a guess.

The bunny bashers on here get on average from a traditional butcher around £1.50 if they are lucky, that's head shot and paunched.

Seems rabbit is no longer a poor mans meat.

I recently had 58 rabbits in the freezer but couldn't even give them away, after asking everyone I know, I buried 4 under a grape vine, 6 went to a friend for his dog , a neighbour took 12 and the rest went to landfill, , I have another 200 or so to clear out of some local warrens, but Ive been putting off doing them as I hate waste, The farmer is getting impatient to have them cleared before his new winter crops are sewn , years ago we used to take them on a Tuesday morning to Melton Mowbray market, where you could sell as many as you could carry, but now its impossible to find anywhere to sell them,my nearest game dealer is 30 miles away and I need to take a good number to just break even on diesel.

Same problem with pigeons, but at least the freezers hold enough to make it worth while. :no::no:

I recently had 58 rabbits in the freezer but couldn't even give them away, after asking everyone I know, I buried 4 under a grape vine, 6 went to a friend for his dog , a neighbour took 12 and the rest went to landfill, , I have another 200 or so to clear out of some local warrens, but Ive been putting off doing them as I hate waste, The farmer is getting impatient to have them cleared before his new winter crops are sewn , years ago we used to take them on a Tuesday morning to Melton Mowbray market, where you could sell as many as you could carry, but now its impossible to find anywhere to sell them,my nearest game dealer is 30 miles away and I need to take a good number to just break even on diesel.

Same problem with pigeons, but at least the freezers hold enough to make it worth while. :no::no:

I'm assuming by this Melton won't take them anymore. I haven't been for a couple of months but thought they were selling them then. Does anyone know for sure?

Have you got a Bird of Prey rescue center near you? I use to give a local Owl Sanctuary loads of rabbits.

There is no market for rabbits here in Shetland at all and the place is over run with them. The last time I was in the butcher shop I noticed they had a vacuum packed rabbit for sale, I asked where they got their rabbit from, expecting them to tell me it was sent up from the mainland, I was shocked to be told it was from China.

• 3 weeks later...