Silver pigeon....chalk and cheese?

Jacks1342

I've had a 687 and a 686E and liked them both, but I much prefer my current Prevail 1 to any of 686/7/2 family. The 692 (and 690 field) uses the wider action from the Prevail and the lightweight self tensioning forend so the all the indications are that the 686/7 family guns are becoming an endangered species.

I've shot mine since I bought it at the Shooting Show in February and I've got on very well. The one niggle that I have encountered is that when you break the gun to load it does not clear the breach for loading the bottom barrel, you have to push the barrel down. It is ok when I have cleaned and greased it but after an hours shooting it starts to stick. I'm hoping that it will improve after I have run it in. Other than that I have found it to very good.

Mine is a 687 and it still does it. However I shoot well with it so its forgiven. I've had mine, bought 2nd hand 16 years ago, still a great gun which led me on to others.

Tried a CG, very good fit and shot well with it, so, it may come down to looks !

Bought a 20 bore silver pig delux last December for a cheeky Xmas present for myself. Iv used it in the field with great results and it's now my clay gun. Iv not shot clays for a good few months because Iv hurt my shoulder ( another story for another day ) but my scores did go up before hurtling it and I made B class !!

If you like it and it feels right don't worry what other people think or say about it , every one has their own opinion and someone is always going to say oh I would not buy this or that

I have had a 687 for about 20 years, usually fire 400-1000 carts a year so not a lot compared to some.

I have had no issues what so ever with it, I did have it checked and serviced at 5 years but have not bothered since.

The only issue you need to be aware of is to not put it into a slip wet. it will start to rust very quickly, within a couple of hours. Give it a wipe with WD40 and put it into a dry slip. When you get home strip it right out, the ejectors turn out by hand, let them dry out properly then clean, oil and re assemble.

I preferred the fit compared to the three Miroku S and HS models I had before it. Even then I had the stock shortened a shade after two or three years.

A

• 2 weeks later...

My brother uses a Beretta 686 20 bore which is a lovely gun to shoot, the build quality is superb. A friend of mine has a Browning B425 of which I could say exactly the same.

Both Brownings and Berettas are quality guns but will no more fit you than a Baikal or a Purdey, until you have it fitted to you by a gunsmith. A gunsmith will check your master eye, adjust stock length, cast and all the other variables to suit. They will charge of course, but what's the point of spending upwards of a grand on a gun that you can't hit anything with?

The one major difference between the two is the comb height on standard factory stocks, as the the rib presents higher on Brownings and lower on Berettas, resulting in very different sight pictures. I have a Parker Hale 801 (Winchester 101) which is very much more like a Browning, and for me that gives a more accurate sight picture. It really is down to personal opinion and individual fit - I can still shoot well with my brother's Beretta, but I shoot better with mine! I would not listen to aficionados of either brand, because they will not be able to give you objective advice.

All I'd say is try a few (and try other makes, too) before you spend.