1988 defender

rwade545

Looking to get a defender after having the most unreliable jeep wrangler ever. My local mechanic had a 2.5l petrol, 1988 defender with one owner and 25k miles. No previous welding. Everything looks solid on it and everything is original. It is sat out the back of his workshop. It needs some cleaning and a tidying up. Was wondering what people's opinions on a value were before I make him an offer. ( will be motd etc) thanks

is it a 90 or 110.......before they changed the name to Defender..........if its anything like mine it should have a pristine chassy......mine was a "maggie Thatcher" 90....built for the London "yuppie" market......leather steering wheel full soundproofing ...undercarpets etc.........

parts are very cheap for it....but it is not a 60mph vehicle....drive it at 50....do a bit of maintenance on it ...and it will last forever...

It was previously owned by a doctor as a weekend car. I agree, need more info, old mot certificates etc to prove mileage. Not a more on the seats etc inside so don't think it's been around the clock.

Sounds like it could be a good buy. Especially if you can get a decent gas conversion on it as well. Shame they only give £10 discount on your tax for the conversion, but it should save quite a bit on your fuel bill.

If I remember right when we had a car we did a gas conversion on we used to get 75% mpg on gas compared to petrol. As gas was 50% the price of petrol after 18mths we made on the price of the gas conversion. A lot depends on your mileage per year and how long you plan on keeping it if it is worth doing. There was no appreciable difference on performance running on gas compared to petrol apart from it being a bit quieter on gas.