How close to a wild rabbit for a shot?

Cookie69

If its eye is all black it is a rabbits if its got a back pupil but with a brown outer similar to a human eye it a hare. Coat colouration can vary and at that age its honestly too hard to tell without seeing the eye clearly.

To be frank at some ages its hard to tell and I bet I am not the only guy who has shot a half grown leveret thinking it was a rabbit, had to actually check out a bunny I shot the other week I shot as it fell back into a stream and looked like a 1/3 grown hare after a soaking till I checked the eye (not shooting ant hares at present and was quite mad at myself until I discovered it was indeed a rabbit, just its front legs looked long after its bath)

never seen of the amount of Dark meat rabbits people question not even aware they killed an immature hare after dressing out

If its eye is all black it is a rabbits if its got a back pupil but with a brown outer similar to a human eye it a hare. Coat colouration can vary and at that age its honestly too hard to tell without seeing the eye clearly.

To be frank at some ages its hard to tell and I bet I am not the only guy who has shot a half grown leveret thinking it was a rabbit, had to actually check out a bunny I shot the other week I shot as it fell back into a stream and looked like a 1/3 grown hare after a soaking till I checked the eye (not shooting ant hares at present and was quite mad at myself until I discovered it was indeed a rabbit, just its front legs looked long after its bath)

never seen of the amount of Dark meat rabbits people question not even aware they killed an immature hare after dressing out

they are quiet easy to tell the difference once the fur is off and dressed

colin

• 2 weeks later...