Better second day on the beans

Passionforangling

After the poor first day, I visited the fields in the afternoon the following day on the advice of several members and sure enough there were plenty of birds on it. So, the plan was to go yesterday afternoon. When I spoke to the farmer on Friday he said he might be working on the fields Sunday/ Monday so there was no opportunity for me to really let the birds get used to feeding there.

When I arrived about 12.30pm there was little sign of activity but I decided to get set up and wait for the pigeons to arrive later in the afternoon. It was a much better day than Thursday, some cloud and a nice breeze blowing left to right as I looked out from my hide. I set up slightly further down the hedgerow this time, a bit further away from some overhead lines, which was another mistake I think I made on Thursday.

I put out a rotary and 10 dead birds and immediately the first pigeon came in and was added to the pattern. Then it went quiet, very quiet. I thought again had I blown my chances by getting here to early and not letting the birds get used to the feeding but sure enough as the afternoon wore on they started to come in various group sizes and from various directions. Some decoyed in beautifully and others flew higher overhead so there was a good variety of shooting.

I had to leave at 5.00pm because Mrs PFA was cooking rabbit and bacon pancakes in a cheese sauce for some friends who were coming round but at that time the birds were REALLY starting to arrive in numbers!

Anyway, I was more than happy with my tally of 35, 33 picked up. The low point was firing 7 shots for no birds as Highbird 70 was visiting, taking his dog for a walk. I think his presence put me off!

Some of the birds shot are being used in the pigeon plucking competition today at Frampton Fair.....I have been asked to judge, talk about the blind leading the blind!