A great day out with Motty

fenboy

I received a message from Motty late Friday night saying that he was going to shoot the same field on Saturday where he had 160 odd last week again with his friend Sam and that there was plenty of room on the field for another gun if I wanted to join them.

I was in the middle of a night shift and would not be finishing work until 6am and Motty wanted to meet up for 9.30 am.

Motty said there were still good numbers of birds about so despite lack of sleep I took up his kind offer.

We met us as arranged and there were a few pigeon floating about over the barley stubble , loads but enough to show that we would get a shot or two.

The down side was the stubble had been over sown with rape and with it just emerging the farmer had requested that we did not drive on the field.

I set up against a overgrown orchard on one side of the field while Motty and Sam went to the same location where they had the success last week .

Things were a little slow for me at the start , I did not have any pigeon for the magnet due to not having any defrosted in time.

I could hear Motty and Sam getting a few shots from the off .

Eventually I managed to get a couple for the magnet , and this improved thing dramatically , I seemed to be shooting well with 11 for my first 12 shots .

I could still hear Motty and Sam getting some shooting and was surprised to find when I sent a text that they had actually shot less than I had , Motty said the birds were being difficult and not decoying and lots of long shots were being taken.

As the day went on things improved dramatically and we were seeing huge amounts of pigeon , the most I have seen for many years in fact though mainly they would pass over enough decoyed to give good sport along with some good flighting birds being taken by the three of us.

Late afternoon and things really kicked off for Motty and Sam and I could hear almost non stop shooting for a good couple of hours , I was still getting a few too and had to go back to the car for more cartridges , my shooting had gone of the rails by this time !

When things finally slowed enough to call it a day I had managed 137 and Motty and Sam a tremendous 248 so 385 between us.

All of those and the kit had to be carried over the field and it took a age to clear up !

Today I can barely move I am so stiff !

A great day , thanks for the invite Motty.

PIcture of my bag minus some I took back to the car when collecting cartridges.

DSC_0086_zpsdbd7f4c3.jpg

View from the hide.

DSC_0085_zps1faee2fc.jpg

Edited by fenboy

I bet you didn't feel tired or stiff until it was time to pack in . Super day .

Harnser

By the time we finished I had been up over 30 hrs , and felt it , today I am stiff as a board , I did sleep well last night though.

My shooting normally gets poor if I have stayed up after a night shift and that was the case yesterday , I counted 244 empties which is not too bad I guess considering the birds were difficult but still way above my usual ratio.

By the time we finished I had been up over 30 hrs , and felt it , today I am stiff as a board , I did sleep well last night though.

My shooting normally gets poor if I have stayed up after a night shift and that was the case yesterday , I counted 244 empties which is not too bad I guess considering the birds were difficult but still way above my usual ratio.

We also used a lot of shells. Must have been 420-430. Not great, but not bad considering they weren't all doddles.