Norfolk Pigeons and some Proper Cartridges

Whitebridges

After a glorious couple of weeks holiday in Devon it was back to our open arable fields. What a beautiful county Devon is. Fantastic part of the world and we met some great yokels there too. Must try and get down there again soon.

On the way back I picked up a slab of Georges "Proper" cartridges from Thetford Guns and today presented a chance to give them a go.

Following tip off from the sage one yesterday and a quick meet up and recce we decided it would be worth a go as there was a good number of birds using a fresh autumn rape drilling. The birds were using virtually all parts of the field. Me ol' partner was free which meant we could spread out a bit. We were in situ by 10.00 am. Not bad for a Sunday morning. He chose to shoot under a sole oak tree near the middle of the field and I thought the top end looked promising.

Me ol' partner had some steady shooting. I could see the birds decoying in ones and twos. I was struggling as i was as little off the line and his turbo flapper was drawing then to his pattern. After about 30 minutes i had my first shot and downed a nice fast crossing bird. Next up a crow just hanging on the wind. I picked him up stone dead on 63 paces. It was a really nice day for decoying, about a 20 mph N/E gusting wind and good cloud cover. I dropped a few birds in the field behind which I couldn't pick.

Sport slowed mid afternoon as the birds started to prefer some newly sown rape on the opposite side on the main road. We finished with 34 pigeons and 2 crows which wasn't so bad and a very managable amount for the table.

I was impressed by Georges cartridges. I had some nice rangey kills and everything dropped stone dead. For the record the shells I used are 30g 12 bore number 6 shot. They feel punchy and are ideal in a semi-auto. Everything ejected flawlessly and the price is right! What more do you need!

Thanks for reading and have a nice evening.

faith4.jpg

faith2.jpg

faith3.jpg

faith1.jpg

What do you think the pigeons were feeding on? Could it really be the rape?

I've just de-breasted the birds in the pic, bar the crows :rolleyes: stuffed with newly chitted rape. Not uncommon in this part of the world. Sometimes they'll take the plant when it comes to second stage at about six inches and leave nothing but match stick stems in the ground. This is a re-drilling job as it's rare the rape can come back.

Doesn't this occur in the Cotswolds?

The picture of the last cartridge looks the best of all.

Regards.

Fatty

Can't disagree Fatty. I found this beer in Devon but I think it's a Cornish brew. Darn good it is too.

Edited by Whitebridges

I have never known pigeons feed on rape between September and November. I must keep an eye out from now on.

I shot around 40 yesterday afternoon on some new rape but the field was barley before they drilled it and I don't think they were after the new rape, more likely the old barley brought to the surface, and like you say before November is early for pigeons to be on rape although I have shot them from now onwards if they direct drill it in stubble but then its more likely its the stubble there feeding on rather than the new rape.

I shot around 40 yesterday afternoon on some new rape but the field was barley before they drilled it and I don't think they were after the new rape, more likely the old barley brought to the surface, and like you say before November is early for pigeons to be on rape although I have shot them from now onwards if they direct drill it in stubble but then its more likely its the stubble there feeding on rather than the new rape.

That has been my experience but Whitebridges has seen something different I am sure.

That has been my experience but Whitebridges has seen something different I am sure.

Jdog , they are definitely feeding on the freshly chitted rape . On another part of the farm they are still feeding on last seasons self propergated rape after harvest .

On the field white bridges was shooting there are 3 barley stubble fields very close to the rape field and the birds were flying over these fields to get at the rape . I agree with you that it seems a bit early for them to be on the rape but hey - ho who knows pigeons . I have been pigeon shooting pigeons For 50 years and still don't know what they will do next . Perhaps that is the beauty of it .

Harnser

Well done Marsh man, nice bag.

The particular field yielded sugar beet last year. If you look closely at the top picture you will hopefully see the field we shot today was a new drill OSR.

If you look closely at the birds I shot you will know they are just off the nest. I have a theory ( and this is all it is) that squabs crave moisture. We have had zip all rain for weeks in this area but the juice in new rape shoots assists.

I'm only a new kid on the block after 40 years pigeon shooting, so i'm still guessing.

Edited by Whitebridges

I have never known pigeons feed on rape between September and November. I must keep an eye out from now on.

my land owner has re-drilled the rape that failed...(got capped)........and the other rape fields (not his) are 2-3" up and birds are dropping in to them........the farmer has got me 3 slabs of cartridges and told me to keep on going round to the house whenever i need more boxes........judging by your posts todate you have far more diverse cropping where you are...so the rape is not their first choice ...thats my guess anyway ........

I've had good bags over newly drilled rape as early as late October, I'm predicting a similar season this year as there are no Acorns around, unlike last year, where I've never seen so many..!

I'm so confident of a good season I've gone out and bought a new freezer.... :yes:

Cat.

That's good Cat.

So how many of your super wealthy Herts farmers are growing rape this year? You'll know about the "bee problem"? Now they can only sow the "unprotected stuff" which means they will have to spend loads of hard earned on expensive sprays to keep the yields up.

Many growers around here are switching crops away from OSR as a consequence.

I've had good bags over newly drilled rape as early as late October, I'm predicting a similar season this year as there are no Acorns around, unlike last year, where I've never seen so many..!

I'm so confident of a good season I've gone out and bought a new freezer.... :yes:

Cat.

Cat ,I think you are right about the acorns . I always pay attention to the oaks on the farms to see what crop of acorns we can expect . I have noticed this year that I have seen oaks with some very large acorns on them ,but not very many of them . Definitely not as many acorns than the last two years .

Harnser

my land owner has re-drilled the rape that failed...(got capped)........and the other rape fields (not his) are 2-3" up and birds are dropping in to them........the farmer has got me 3 slabs of cartridges and told me to keep on going round to the house whenever i need more boxes........judging by your posts todate you have far more diverse cropping where you are...so the rape is not their first choice ...thats my guess anyway ........

There you go ditchman. When they put it in they don't want it lost. Your farmer mate is a bloke i'd like to meet and good on 'im for supplying you with a few boxes. I bet you're a lot more useful killing them than gas guns.

Thanks for your post. Puts some local perspective on protecting new rape.

Yes i would be interested to know.

I paid £45 a slab. Rough maths says this is £180 a thousand. Thetford guns have had their name printed with the telephone number on the shells which might mean they are a bit dearer than normal.

Mark the owner of TG was away shooting the SxS championship so I couldn't barter.

They are a very good shell no shadow of doubt but i won't be putting them through my old English game gun if you know what I mean.

Edited by Whitebridges

I paid £45 a slab. Rough maths says this is £180 a thousand. Thetford guns have had their name printed with the telephone number on the shells which might mean they are a bit dearer than normal.

Mark the owner of TG was away shooting the SxS championship so I couldn't barter.

They are a very good shell no shadow of doubt but i won't be putting them through my old English game gun if you know what I mean.

According to the advert on the page header they are £169 a thousand???????

yes but it does say "from" £169 , I guess thats the price if you get them direct from George.

I also find apart from one dealer who sells cartridges, all the other places I buy cartridges from charge more for small quantities right up to the 1000 price . so a 250 box might be a few quid more than by buying them at the 1000 price.