Are these what I think they are?

hedd-wyn

They are indeed Fly Agarics, Amanita muscaria, common under birch at this time of year, they are toxic;not excessively so but the main toxic component is hallucinogenic. They are related to the Death Cap, Amanita phalloides, which really is intensely poisonous and common enough.

If you ate a couple of Fly agarics, you are likely to be very sick and suffer terrifying nightmares. A single Death Cap is likely to result in catastrophic hepatorenal ( liver and kidney) failure and transplant, or death.

I'll see if I can find a photo, I took some last year in Gloucestershire.

They are indeed Fly Agarics, Amanita muscaria, common under birch at this time of year, they are toxic;not excessively so but the main toxic component is hallucinogenic. They are related to the Death Cap, Amanita phalloides, which really is intensely poisonous and common enough.

If you ate a couple of Fly agarics, you are likely to be very sick and suffer terrifying nightmares. A single Death Cap is likely to result in catastrophic hepatorenal ( liver and kidney) failure and transplant, or death.

I'll see if I can find a photo, I took some last year in Gloucestershire.

:good:

the saxon "beserkers" used to get high on fly agaric, before going into battle stark naked armed only with a knife

their job was to run under the horses of armoured knights and "hamstring/disembowel" the horse.

This in turn was countered by the Knights having trained mastiffs to bring down the beserkers. The original "dogs of war"

I remember reading about the fly agaric at college, it was alleged that if consumed in the correct quantity it would make you sleep for 24hrs and upon waking the person would feel superhuman, if this is true I have no idea but I do wonder how the writer found out especially if taken in the wrong quantity it is very harmful, also alleged, Laplanders used to drink reindeer urine after the reindeer had been feeding on the fungi, for a similar effect, cant see why everyone doesn't do it !

Also believed to be the source of the colour of Father Christmas' out fit.

I remember reading about the fly agaric at college, it was alleged that if consumed in the correct quantity it would make you sleep for 24hrs and upon waking the person would feel superhuman, if this is true I have no idea but I do wonder how the writer found out especially if taken in the wrong quantity it is very harmful, also alleged, Laplanders used to drink reindeer urine after the reindeer had been feeding on the fungi, for a similar effect, cant see why everyone doesn't do it !

Called Fly Agric because "Witches" smeared a concoction of it on their broomsticks and the effects of its absorption made them believe they were flying so the Myths have it.

Where on earth did the witches put their broomsticks to absorb the concoction to feel like flying.

Sounds like the first Anne Summers meeting.

Figgy