Canada goose

pistolgrip

Friends wife said the best way to cook a canada goose is to slow roast the bird on top of a concrete block, when it's done throw the bird away and eat the block! it's stopped me shooting at them for years don't want to kill one if it's not worth eating and there's so many about at the moment on a scale of 1 to 10 how good's the meat 10 being top fodder.

Friends wife said the best way to cook a canada goose is to slow roast the bird on top of a concrete block, when it's done throw the bird away and eat the block! it's stopped me shooting at them for years don't want to kill one if it's not worth eating and there's so many about at the moment on a scale of 1 to 10 how good's the meat 10 being top fodder.

In my view they are the best eating of any wild goose available in the UK. Mainly again in my view this is because the meat is more tender than truelly wild geese which have flown thousands of miles and are usually quite tough unless cooked very slowly. Canada's in Scotland can also be migratory and tough but those in the South are usually semi domesticated.

Don't cook them whole and don't treat them as you might a grey goose. I eat lots of them and they eat well if you take the breast off and cut in into thin slices cross ways cutting through the grain at 90 degrees (it also helps finding shot often small duck pellets from previous encounters well healed up) then season with coriander, thyme, black pepper and treat as lean beef without the fat. Its darker stronger meat generally and makes great meat and potato pies with a simple gravy of beef bisto if your not into making your own stuff.

As with many wild meat it depends on what its been feeding on and Canadas can turn their attentions to some horrid stuff so just take care with inland birds

And there I think lies my biggest problem the birds are inland residents although not a problem with the farmer he has mentiond why I havent "Had a crack at 'em" normally while he's trying to yank the mallard from under my belt I suppose the next time the situation presents itself I'll give one a dig but he'll have to be close. thanks.