Winter drillings - cover crops.

Cranfield

Checking with local farmers on the crop plans for the Winter drilling it seems that most of them are putting significant acreage down to "cover crops", which will be the seed bed for next years Spring drilling.

The "cover crop" includes plants like, forage radish, mustard, oats, clover, etc.

Has anyone had any practical experience of whether this produces pigeon shooting during the Winter ?

Theoretically it could, especially when combined with the big reduction of Winter rape being grown, which will take away a major food source.

In norfolk the mentioned pratice used , was called "soil improvers".....Lupins...mustard...lucern...and all the other stuff you mentioned...........because of the cost of fuel and doing cultivations now...this practice is no longer carried out

a real pity if you ask me.........when it was done in the 70's....the partridge shooting was second to none and a lot of english partridge

Had some good days on mustard . My farmers neighbour had a contract to supply mustard seed for a very well known mustard maker . I was allways getting the call from the neighbour to shoot the pigeons .

They will take it at any stage of the growth and I have seen massive flocks dropping into it .

Harnser

Not sure if it is connected but I thought the rules on fertiliser use are changing meaning that increasing amounts of nitrogen fixing plants need to be grown. Can anyone shed any light on this as it may be connected with the OP's question?

It is a direct result on the pressure from Government( Europe) to reduce pesticides.

This Farmers Weekly article sums it up, http://www.fwi.co.uk/articles/13/03/2012/131916/cover-crops-what-are-the-benefits.htm .

It is not confined to my area, this is coming to a farm near you very soon.

A few winters ago when we had some severe snow and frost there were huge numbers on some game crops but it was about the only thing still visible so they didnt have much choice.Apart from that cant really say ive scoped them on it much at all.

Out of interest,are there any game crops you can hand sow by hand without the need for breaking the ground in?

A few winters ago when we had some severe snow and frost there were huge numbers on some game crops but it was about the only thing still visible so they didnt have much choice.Apart from that cant really say ive scoped them on it much at all.

Out of interest,are there any game crops you can hand sow by hand without the need for breaking the ground in?

Mate of mine broadcasts mustard into standing wheat 2 or 3weeks before harvesting it. Have to get the straw baled pretty quick though