beau is now 18 months old.

lozrob

my dog beau is now 18 months old, shes a sprocker. come from a working background.

is there a level that she should be at by now.

its really frustrating for me at the moment as to what she SHOULD be doing.

she sits,

she stays ( only for as long as im looking.)

she will retrieve to hand,

she has no problem being around a gun.

BUT,

she will not walk to heel .

she will run off at any chance she gets when were out, 200 / 300 yards ( she does come back to me if i run off in the other direction.)

she just wants to hunt and not bothered what im trying to get her to do,

she pulls like a train on a short lead.

and on a long line,

ive taken her pigeon shooting with me over the last few months to try and get some steadiness in her , , which is fine , but as soon as i send her out to pick up

a bird shes off, in a massive circle , then eventually comes back with a lot of help from me to find the downed bird.

also she is now trying to take a second bite on the pigeon for better grip and damaging the bird,

if she is too young for the shooting part , what age is good,

what should i be expecting her to do,

have i got to start basic training again.

ive been training with a long line for 3 months now, everything seemed ok then tried the same exercises off lead . and shes off like a train.

cheers for any help.

Hiya.

Firstly there's no set rule for what a dog 'should' be doing at any certain age, they're all different.

Secondly (and no offence) it looks like your Sprocker's running rings around you. A second pair of eyes and advice is always good, particularly when you're starting to get understandably frustrated.

Best bet is to look for a good gundog trainer in your area for a one to one. It might just take just one session to set you off on the right path again.

Ok, I'm no expert but I've had a look back at Beau's previous exploits.

"i will do as you suggested with the long lead, i have just come back from a walk around the streets near my home, with beau on a retractable lead. she just started jumping about at

first then soon settled down.

every junction and every 100 or so yards , tugged the lead , blew the stop whistle , and she sat and stayed untill i told her " to get on "

i will continue for as long as it takes , will keep everybody posted."

Do you use 'get on' for a hunt command? Just asking as we do and many others. If so it's no wonder she's pulling like mad on the lead for starters. As for retractable leads, ditch 'em :)

Anyway, I'm no keyboard (or even real life lol) trainer but that's what jumped out at me initially.

You need to find somebody to train you :)

Hope you get sorted soon

Edited by bigbird

I fear the heel bit is going to be hard now but very doable, restricting hunting range likewise. Getting a second hold is normally a sign of inexperience and a soft mouth, yet you say she is damaging stuff? I think you need some hands on help. The dog is not ready for the shooting field I should stop that for now if I were you as you will only do more harm

I found the gentle leader type head harness good for getting a headstrong dog that has learned to pull back in position without tears and aching arms. Used it on the setter when I got him for a few weeks to get him into the idea that I wanted him by my side not 3 ft in front. Once they get the idea you can swap back to a normal lead.