Preserved Bait

DrBlox

Just stocking up the seat box (with velco-ed on cushion and backrest) with tackle and waiting for the cooler seas to arrive. Because of my work patterns, I'm possibly only going to get around a day's notice of when I can head to the coast. Now I've just noticed on the 'bay that there are a lot of freeze dried baits available and one of the things I've seen is that all of the sites advertising Ragworms are out of stock.

Is it because these are some sort of secret weapon and is it worth getting a few of these (also freeze dried black lug caught my eye) to keep with my tackle in case of emergencies? Are they any good?

dynabait-ragworms-3016-p.jpg

This is the brand that first caught my eye.

No idea if they will work or not , but there are plenty of ways to have some bait ready for a session at short notice .

Black lug can be brought frozen , usually in wraps of 10 worms , these can be left in the freezer until required , squid can be brought cheap as chips and can also live in the freezer until required and refrozen a number of times a great bait for numerous species.

You can buy some fresh lugworm and salt them , spread them out in a tray , cover with salt leave over night , remove excess salt , they can then be either frozen or kept in a airtight container indefinitely a great bait they are too.

Fresh herring and mackerel can be got from your local supermarket / fish monger .

Raw prawns are also a good bait and can be brought in frozen bags from most supermarkets.

So really all you need is a freezer and you can go fish at the drop of a hat.

No idea if they will work or not , but there are plenty of ways to have some bait ready for a session at short notice .

Black lug can be brought frozen , usually in wraps of 10 worms , these can be left in the freezer until required , squid can be brought cheap as chips and can also live in the freezer until required and refrozen a number of times a great bait for numerous species.

You can buy some fresh lugworm and salt them , spread them out in a tray , cover with salt leave over night , remove excess salt , they can then be either frozen or kept in a airtight container indefinitely a great bait they are too.

Fresh herring and mackerel can be got from your local supermarket / fish monger .

Raw prawns are also a good bait and can be brought in frozen bags from most supermarkets.

So really all you need is a freezer and you can go fish at the drop of a hat.

never knew about the salted lug may have to try that with some when i have left overs,

it is how we get our sausage skins in the shop and they will keep for over a year so it sounds fees-able

colin

never knew about the salted lug may have to try that with some when i have left overs,

it is how we get our sausage skins in the shop and they will keep for over a year so it sounds fees-able

colin

be careful not to get them mixed up, lug n pork might not work, then again ! B)

if you do salt the lug squeeze out the guts first and use black lug not sure it would work with blow

Edited by islandgun

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...