RFD charges

viking

It's not my normal RFD. Iv just sold a gun but I'm off to the Lake District on Friday so I was going to take the gun and send it from a RFD up there.

Don't think I will bother at that price. He also said it depends on the weight, maybe he thinks I'm sending a cannon..

Thanks.

Lee

I thought most used Parcelforce which is a fixed national courier price, so I would be surprised to hear this. If they use TNT, I guess there may be an additional cost but that sounds very steep.

Though Parcelforce are owned by the Royal Mail, I don't think they are required to adhere to the universal uniform pricing for the UK as the Royal Mail are. If you look here, you will see that the Highlands and Islands are in a different zone:

http://www.parcelforce.com/our-uk-delivery-zones-0

Though Parcelforce are owned by the Royal Mail, I don't think they are required to adhere to the universal uniform pricing for the UK as the Royal Mail are. If you look here, you will see that the Highlands and Islands are in a different zone:

http://www.parcelforce.com/our-uk-delivery-zones-0

Just did a test on their site - looks like they do charge the same (at least with the sample postcodes I tested) - only difference is the speed of delivery they offer.

I thought most used Parcelforce which is a fixed national courier price, so I would be surprised to hear this. If they use TNT, I guess there may be an additional cost but that sounds very steep.

Spot on.

But some do use TNT who charge like Rhino's even after discounted prices.

webber

Most couriers say fixed price except certain postcodes etc, only way to do it is check before you sell! I sold just a stick and it cost £45 to send! My company uses 4 different couriers and that was the cheapest! It was out in the sticks in Scotland, buyer knew it would cost more and was fine as he was used to it!

Still cheaper than driving up there yourself!!

No it doesn't, as long as you use ParcelForce 48 or 24 that's all you need.

ParcelForce regs as from July 13th

"Guns for sporting use
(Section 1 and Section 2 firearms, low-powered air weapons and their component parts)
Packaging guidelines: May be sent in compliance with UK law and subject to any applicable controls on the possession of firearms. Only low-powered air weapons
are accepted by Parcelforce Worldwide. Sender’s name and address must be visible on the parcel."

You have authority to have it and the RFD has authority to receive it.

There are two Gun Carriage schemes in common use

GTA ( Gun Trade Association) members have access to a group scheme with TNT. With TNT, Highlands and Islands are all significantly more expensive than mainland England and Scottish Lowlands.

BASC Trade members have access to a ParcelForce group scheme. This is about half the TNT price, and has fewer surcharged zones

These negotiated group rates are much lower to the scheme members than the ad-hoc domestic tariffs by these carriers.

An RFD should be able to charge a similar price to the over-the-counter price for PF24 at the Post-Office, and still make a profit.

Any RFD in a scheme can arrange for the gun to be collected directly from you, and delivered to the destination RFD. This is known as carriage forward services. The receiving RFD should be able to arrange this for you - but price will depend on which scheme they are in, what that scheme charges for the Postcodes concerned, and of course the receiving RFD's administration charge

Indeed, my usual RFD only charges me at cost which (from memory) is under £19. I do appreciate his services and make sure to drop off the odd bottle of whisky or pay a bit extra for other things I get off him over the year, if it's say £22 for something I'll usually just give him £25 and call it even. A good RFD can be a Godsend when you read about how much others charge for the same services.