Shoot day fines

Guests must be made aware of possible fines when invited and then reminded again on the day.

Last year a shoot member sent a guest in his absence. The safety brief included "no hens to be shot on 2 drives as we are going to be catching up a few for breading and a £5 fine would be levied". The guest shot 1 and at the end of the day when collecting the money's for the sweepstake, beaters and fines, he declared that his host would pay and he would not :no: This was frowned upon by many shoot members and when he expressed a interest in joining the shoot he received a unanimous NO as all members at the vote were reminded about his none payment of fine :whistling:

No one's 100% perfect

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

They ought to have paid the lad for shooting it, never mind fining him.

Had a look at some of the pheasant varieties on the web. The colour variation on the common pheasant is bad enough anything from black to white, let alone the hybrids. Enough to think about when first game shooting without worrying about fines as well.

Thought of a few more we (me) have experienced:

- forgetting ammo/having wrong ammo

- using pink cartrige cases (if not a lady)

- not picking up cases

- forgetting dog at end of drive

- dog delivering bird to wrong handler

- dog not picking up bird

- late on peg (we do talk a lot)

- late full stop

- laughing at female picker-up stuck in the middle of small lake (funny)

- not shooting moorhen/shooting moorhen

- getting on wrong shoot trailer

I'll think of some more - reflecting on last few years.

I have been a member of a number of small and DIY syndicates and most had a fine system aimed at how much work you put in.

You could exempt yourself from duties by paying a fine (most of which was used to pay someone to do the work).

There was also the white pheasant/guinea fowl fine and a few others mentioned in earlier posts.

At one syndicate the Shoot Captains wife (head of the Beaters) aggressively sold raffle tickets at £5 each for her homemade cake ( the really sad bit was she couldn't cook).

All the fines and other fund raising antics helped along the fun and enjoyment and kept the Shoots solvent.

Nobody was bankrupted by paying fines, nor was there any nastiness associated with them.

On all the big commercial / corporate days I have attended there has been a briefing beforehand, mainly safety, housekeeping and a few "don't shoots", but no fines were levied.

I had a very embarrassing moment on a nice new shoot I had never been to before a few years ago, first drive, first day of the season, I was beating with my springer. Working some think cover a few birds had gone forward then my dog is straight back to me carrying a white pheasant that did not get up quick enough. Unfortunately the keeper was next to me in the beating line and even though I managed to retrieve the bird unharmed from my dog he took it from me to release it back into some cover I did not hear last last of it. Even wanted to fine me £20.

Wow, I thought our £150 for a Reeve's was steep.

Certainly concentrates the mind. I was a guest a few years ago on a shoot where one of the regular guns had nailed a Reeves. He got unmerciffuly ragged. Last drive, looking into the sun I let the birds come level with me before picking them and to be safe I only shot hens !!. I did not see it but was told there was at least two Reeves in one flush.

A