Geared magnet

ditchman

Now that the 2nd drilling of the failed rape has gone ahead....decieded to make myself a geared magnet...with an 8ft diameter...the arms will be narrow gauge high tensile steel with 2D pigeon cut outs either end...have used the spare wheel carrier plate off an old landrover ..some keyway steel and odds and ****...including a VW wiper motor from PW member Toby12......

average speed is 35rpm...loads of torque....it is supported by a replaceble bush top and bottom...the weight is carried by the central shaft which sits in a brass receiver at the bottom.....needed to keep the speed down and have the torque as it will have an 8ft diameter...its not for dead bird use im making up liteweight arms with 2D painted plastic cut outs which will rise and fall as the arms go thro their arc

ANYWAY THATS THE PLAN....(might end up in the bin..!)

its just a little scheme ive had in my head for a while....just a constant "what if" sort of thing...so i had to scratch it

im in no rush but will let you know how i go on...... :hmm:

Been doing a bit more "fettling"...the top plate is now on and will be the base for the "quills"...(the 2 points where the arms attatch)....the whole weight of the turning stuff rests upon the central bearing shaft which slides thro the main shaft and sits in a bush that has been lined out with moltern bronze then lightly drilled to recieve the rounded point of the central bearing shaft...the main gear wheel is then lifted by 3mm (see pic) and the split pin is then inserted thro the main gearshaft and the central bearing shaft , locking it together...

i will be off tomorrow to try and blag some thin high tensile rod off my farmer friend...then i will start on the arms.....

Why not make the arms out of fibreglass rod? It would be lighter! :good:

have thought about that and still thinking about that...its just that the high tensile steel is a lot thinner, and less flex...anyway i will see what i can find laying about.....

Edited by ditchman

had a fudge about and have managed to blag some high tensile rod ...various diameters....so i will make and fit the "quills" tomorrow and join the rod together...5mm to 3.5mm to 2mm....and see how it goes,,,,,,,,,,will try to make the 2D decoys out of plastic pizza bases....(i think the paint might disolve them).....

any idea's..?

Looking good. Proper engineering, with no plastic. Looks like it should survive a nuclear attack. I trust all those threads are Imperial Ditchman? :good:

Looking good. Proper engineering, with no plastic. Looks like it should survive a nuclear attack. I trust all those threads are Imperial Ditchman? :good:

Those threads are "early saxon" threads....king canute pitch.......................looking for plastic for the decoys.....

Those threads are "early saxon" threads....king canute pitch.......................looking for plastic for the decoys.....

What plastics are you going to use , shell or full? with foam or ridged wings or maybe real ?.

A nice bit of engineering on the main frame.

Edited by deny essex

What plastics are you going to use , shell or full? with foam or ridged wings or maybe real ?.

A nice bit of engineering on the main frame.

denny ...i need to keep the weight down...and if i can it will mean i get a bit more movement up an down as its going around !!...so i will be starting off with thin flexible plastic sheet , that i can paint and bend to give a 2 dimensional effect,,,,..its just finding the correct sheet..........

as you know im not a magnet man ...more flappers and deeks and your dippa's in a line up the drill....but this is an ich ive got to scratch and see .....as we have rape to shoot over this year.......

Edited by ditchman

denny ...i need to keep the weight down...and if i can it will mean i get a bit more movement up an down as its going around !!...so i will be starting off with thin flexible plastic sheet , that i can paint and bend to give a 2 dimensional effect,,,,..its just finding the correct sheet..........

as you know im not a magnet man ...more flappers and deeks and your dippa's in a line up the drill....but this is an ich ive got to scratch and see .....as we have rape to shoot over this year.......

The lighter the better is good as far as I am concerned after carrying my kit up hill 3 times this week :(

I still have the glassfibre wing moulds if you get stuck, they are aero shaped sort of and feather embossed, they do like to ride the wind, take a look at battery drill rotary on here.

I can knock you a pair up to try if you wish to have a go and paint them yourself.

Edited by deny essex

you've got me thinking........real wings, cut off a decent pair panel pin them into shape...leave to dry.......then attatch to some sort of lightweight decoy body...then if the feathers over a period of time get manky..just replace

cheers for the idea denny................ :good:

Yep a shooting buddy of mine does the same thing, just have to watch where you put the wings to dry out , they can be prone to insects destroying them.

He /we slide a wire about the thickness of a wire coat hanger (in fact a welding rod) through the fleshy forward edge of the wings past the joint before pegging, this keeps the wings nicely in the desired shape even angel style.

We leave enough wire out the body end of the wing looped to fit in the decoy body, real wings plastic body a half and half :)

• 2 weeks later...

Why not try dried dead birds. They weigh very little. I remove breast, legs and all intestines and dry with borax. This preserves the birds as long as you keep them dry. Not sure what they weigh but would be lighter than standard magnet decoys. They last awhile as long as you look after them.

May well do....i think it was HARNSER who posted a topic about curing dead birds in the old days.....so may well killl 2 birds with one stone.........