just got a cheaper remote for my clay trap

johnphilip

Please be aware guys that when switching DC supplies, 12 or 24v the current it can switch is LESS than the 240v ac current

Reason......

ac passes through zero volta every 50th of a second so any arc that tries to establish across the contacts is extinguished. DC on the other hand does not do this, so any arc continues....which can result in either fire at worst or welded contacts.

I would derate this item to 6A max at 12/24 volts......

Please be aware guys that when switching DC supplies, 12 or 24v the current it can switch is LESS than the 240v ac current

Reason......

ac passes through zero volta every 50th of a second so any arc that tries to establish across the contacts is extinguished. DC on the other hand does not do this, so any arc continues....which can result in either fire at worst or welded contacts.

I would derate this item to 6A max at 12/24 volts......

Can you put this in laymans turn, i dont have a clue what you are on about

Can you put this in laymans turn, i dont have a clue what you are on about

difficult withoput a drawing but basically ac (alternating current) which is what comes out of your mains socket changes direction (goes from positive to negative ) 50 times a second...

DC (which is what your batteries make) is always steady .

that makes it harder for the contacts to switch the current..and "can" cause problems

Agree with HDAV that the theoretical derating is 2/3rds.... (actually 1/ root 2 but hey whos worried about minute detail lol) but being "belt and braces, and disliking running things at "max" I usually go for 1/2 (over engineering possibly but......)

John just read the online question Maplins say not to use this with 12V they recommend a different kit.

Hi daf it worked fine i had the trap set up in my back garden and walked around to the front of the house. It even worked with no line of site. I started walking up the lane from the house, and things were in the way i must have got 100 yards away and it still

worked. Then took it onto the field and fired about a 100 clays it worked great.

My mate down in wales has the same trap and he got the remote with his trap, i have seen him have problems with his not working all the time. Plus this one looks better quality. I suppose time will tell. Oh hows the fly casting going lol.

Considering may traps at clay grounds are run off batteries, and dont get recharged all day, I doubt they ARE high current tbh....I was merely offering a matter of safety and experience when using relays/ switches showing ac ratings, with DC.

Battery operated traps do draw high currents to arm the trap as the throwing arm has to move into position against the strong throwing spring = work done = energy.

However they have a high current relay in the control box which is used to switch the high current to the motor to arm the trap.

The low current relay coil is used to fire the trap and hence the radio remotes should work fine.

Just may be do not let them get wet as they may not be water proofed like the commercial radio trap remotes.