young drivers insurance

contrysports

It's not rip off Britain when you have youngsters causing multi-million pound collisions which you, I and every other responsible motorist has to pay for! So you would suggest what - let kids out with sports cars, no training, full of their mates egging them on causing death and serious injury eh?? Hopefully the money may even make one or two of them think about how they drive unless of course indulgent parents pay premiums.

It's not rip off Britain when you have youngsters causing multi-million pound collisions which you, I and every other responsible motorist has to pay for! So you would suggest what - let kids out with sports cars, no training, full of their mates egging them on causing death and serious injury eh?? Hopefully the money may even make one or two of them think about how they drive unless of course indulgent parents pay premiumsYou

You can't blame the cost of modern day insurance on the younger generation, yes there are idiots about of all ages not just "youngsters" what about the fraudsters and car thieves? it still doesn't justify a persons premium going up 40% while insurance companies share prices and profits rise, there are people out there going without food, gas, electricity because fat cat corperations are bleeding this country white, is that down to the younger generation! I think not, it's all too easy to blame this country's problems on Harry hoodie and his mates but the truth is there's only one culprit GREED and we are expected to bend over take it and not complain eh??

It's not just Harry Hoodie - its a whole lot of **** insurers have to take which 40yrs ago we would have kicked out ie our itinerant friends, a few thousand from other countries who arrive with licences issued by postman pat, and, a personal gripe of mine, accident management companies who can add thousands to the cost of an incident. Ambulance chasing and fraud rings 'manufacturing' claims also were not about when i was a junior clerk. How many of you have enjoyed a few quid from a whiplash claim? I'll bet you all know someone who has. BUT getting back on topic young lads are very very poor risks and for every 10 or so who pass their first test a very high % will have accidents and a handful will cost insurers £000's with more than their fair share of mouthwatering injuries. Yes the MD and a few others will be on big bucks but way way short of the bankers and in my last few years for one of the largest European insurers our return was low single figures. That's my last word on this - sure you won't agree so looking forward to the enlightened comments which I'm sure will follow!!

EASY TIGER!! I agree with you. Insurance fraud is one of this country's fastest growing problems and everything you've stated is correct, but the problem is we are being governed by a host of elected fraudsters, queing up to get their snouts in the money trough, who have absolutely no interest in your finacial well being, only who can get the directorship for whatever company first, insurance is just the tip of the iceburg, yes this country has gone the way of our American cousins sue, sue, sue and the British courts have been next to useless dealing with every" I tripped over the crack in the pavement on the way home from the pub "claim but It's not being delt with. This dosen't make it any easier to swollow when your car insurance goes up by £180 and no reason given, my motorcycle insurance has remained the same for 3 years and my house insurance has gone down !! People have a dependence on the motor car, it's a legal requirement for you to have motor insurance, if you don't have it you can't drive "No money, no motor" and I for one believe the car insurance companies are increasingly cashing in on this "not you personnaly".

• 4 weeks later...

Put the value as over £1k. Put it as about £1k-£2.5k as cars under a grand are expensive to insure. Also don't put less than 5000 miles as that bumps it up. Get a black box if you can live with the small restriction for the first year- encourages you to drive safe as well!

Don't put any add ons either as they are pointless. Only useful one would be breakdown, but get that with Greenflag as they are the best- bonus is I paid £40 for breakdown (full cover) on a 1.2 fiat, then swapped after a month to a two litre twin turbo saab 9-3 and they didn't charge me a penny.

Good luck!

I just insured my 18 year old daughter.

I looked at getting her a Renault Clio 1.2 to give her some lessons on just before she passed her test and then to let her drive it a few months to gain some road experience.

Third party Fire and Theft was minimum £2700. I looked at Corsa's, Vauxhalls, Kia, all about the same and all around £1000 car value. So that idea was quickly canned.

I ended up getting her a 2013 Fiat 500 and it cost me £1525 fully comp, £100 excess and a black box; That also includes me and my wife as additional drivers (car and insurance under her name).

My logic was that when I factor in the extra costs for keeping an old car in good working order, extra road tax (Fiat is just £30 per year), the warranty I got with the newer car, the extra fuel economy, and saving £1100 on insurance, I preferred to put my money into a better car.

It seems they go on the newer the car the more careful the driver will be.