Eagle Or Buzzard

Dougy

When visiting Scotland a couple of years ago, we was told that a Golden eagle was in the vicinity. Instead of going inside for lunch I decided to forgo the nosh and stay outside to see if I could see the Eagle. I had my binoculars and scanned the mountain tops. I was over the moon when I spotted the Eagle a long way away, I sat there in awe as I watched it for about 15 minutes soaring around. Then I spied a sheep on the mountain close to where the Eagle was and with a saddened heart realised I had been watching a bl***y buzzard.

Size is almost impossible to judge unless you have a known object to measure it against

When visiting Scotland a couple of years ago, we was told that a Golden eagle was in the vicinity. Instead of going inside for lunch I decided to forgo the nosh and stay outside to see if I could see the Eagle. I had my binoculars and scanned the mountain tops. I was over the moon when I spotted the Eagle a long way away, I sat there in awe as I watched it for about 15 minutes soaring around. Then I spied a sheep on the mountain close to where the Eagle was and with a saddened heart realised I had been watching a bl***y buzzard.

Size is almost impossible to judge unless you have a known object to measure it against

agreed when you see them at range a sheep is a good comparison, a couple of weeks ago there were five goldens soaring above the hill at the back of my house, guessing it was a big family gathering.

This one is a pair of White Tailed Eagles :good:

attachicon.gifeagle white tailed.jpg

i have a nice shot of one of them dropping the kids off in the water just before flying off :yes:

nice picture, is it Skye,

Nowt special then Mike, loads round our way, but tne others are not so common round Burton ;-)

If your familiar with a Buzzard and have seen them in the air regularly around your way...you would probably have known immediately even at distance if it was a GE.. The body length of the GE is about twice that of the buzzard at an average of 90cm and the wingspan similar at about 2.0m compared to a Buzzards of about 1.20m

What do you think it was?

Like I said the primaries are a means of distinguishing between the two..generally 5 pronounced primaries on the Buzzard and 6 on the GE as per the two pictures for comparison

post-427-0-46422200-1411167998_thumb.jpg

post-427-0-72181900-1411168013_thumb.jpg

Edited by Fisherman Mike

If your familiar with a Buzzard and have seen them in the air regularly around your way...you would probably have known immediately even at distance if it was a GE.. The body length of the GE is about twice that of the buzzard at an average of 90cm and the wingspan similar at about 2.0m compared to a Buzzards of about 1.20m

What do you think it was?

Like I said the primaries are a means of distinguishing between the two..generally 5 pronounced primaries on the Buzzard and 6 on the GE as per the two pictures for comparison

Thanks Mike, this is why I love this forum I learn something every day. Easy to remember as well, bigger is 6, smaller is 5 great tip