Roofing quote

amateur

My daughter and son-in-law have a Derbyshire holiday rental cottage.

There is a leak into one of the bedrooms, which has been traced to faulty sealing between the chimney and the slate roof.

They have had a roofer along to look at it, who has quoted just under £600 to replace the flashband with new lead soakers and flashings.

Does this seem reasonable?

If, of course, we have any Derbyshire roofers on here, we would be delighted to here from you

The trouble nowadays is the dreaded health and safety.Whereas we used to do things off roof ladders it's frowned upon now.

In the Roofers defence the price should include some scaffolding, he'll need somewhere to put all the tiles when he strips the roof to dress the soakers and weld the back tray and front appron.

I did a job the other day a widow had a number of quotes, in excess of £400 it turned out to be 2 screws needed, but the job was over a large glass roof and access was a nightmare, shouldn't have done what I did, and if it had gone wrong only one person to blame, ( I hasten to add, she had a very cheap job done, but I'm old school and have a conscience)

Sometimes it seems dear until you think things through a bit. Hope this helps :)

Edited by tonker

Is it a gable stack with an apron flashing on two sides and a raking flashing on two slopes or a mid ridge stack with apron flashing both sides and raking flashing on 4 sides.?

If the former and the chimney is say average 2ft x 3ft £600 is a good average price.. If the latter it would be cheap.

On a domestic property a competent roofer can and will work off a roof ladder as long as he's got a mate with him.

If you had to have a chimney scaffold you would be looking at about £600 quid before you start.

As Cranfield says get the agent to get another quote.. however if he's available and you or the letting agent know of his workmanship...a bird in the hand as they say ! You might get a slightly cheaper quote but its probably going to be a couple of days work

It shouldn't be too much of a problem for a roofer with the right tools ( slate Hook & ripper ) to remove the existing...and the guy obviously knows what he's doing as he's going to fit code 3 soakers under the slates and flashing and not just re flash it.

post-427-0-70166400-1411213270_thumb.jpg

Edited by Fisherman Mike