3 firsts for me today

tlennox

Three firsts for me on a morning flight up at Lindisfarne. I arrived at 5:20 and trekked about a mile and half out onto the flats. I got to the mussel beds as the first wigeon started to flight down the reserve. Half a dozen flew straight over me and I missed with two shots. A little extra light was starting to break and I could see the area that I wanted to shoot. I waded across and just as I sat down another half dozen flew to my right and I swang through the lead bird and downed two with one shot stone dead. This was my first wigeon that I'd recovered from the foreshore as I shot one last year but it was carried away on the tide.

As I sat back down another dozen flew over to my right and I picked a bird out, the first shot clipped it but my second finished her.

Then a trio of teal flighted behind me and two shots accounted for a single hen bird, another first for me as I'd never shot teal before.

The action dried up for two hours when a pair of pintails and a teal flighted towards me, I picked out a pintail and two shots and she began to drop, she was only winged and glided a good 200 yds. The dog did her job and I had a first pintail in the bag.

16 flights last year for four birds and I've beaten that by my third flight of this season, one very happy man.

The bag

The dog

post-16690-0-97658200-1411225837_thumb.jpg

post-16690-0-37796400-1411225878_thumb.jpg

Thanks for the reply lads. The dogs getting on a bit now Robbie, she did try and retrieve a decoy at one point but she did well on the Pintail.

when i seen you last season a thought it was a pup :| my spaniel is six and she been great at lindisfarne but she needs to lose 7 kilos vets orders and they said she not to work at all unless its a short walk to were i'm decoying and swimming retreives only :/

Edited by Robbie Forster