AA pro sport, what scope

CollioureII

We'll after getting some fine advice on this forum, I just ordered the AA pro sport .22 with the walnut stock. As I have blown the budget on the purchase there is no point in buying a crappy scope, I want to buy a scope that the gun deserves. Looking to spend up a couple hundred pounds.

So again looking for advice here, what scope and rings etc should I get, hawke stuff looks pretty good. See fella on YouTube Si Pittaway..... gr8 shooter and he has the hawke nite-eye 6-24x50 ao ir sr12.....so recommendation greatly appreciated, budget flexable

Make sure you get one with adjustable paralax - being able to accurately rangefind is always a benefit whether you are hunting or doing target practice. I'd consider a reticle with mil-dots (or similar) so you can see where your pellet is at 20,30,40,50 yards. This is more important with a .22 as you have a more loopy trajectory.

I've got two Hawke scopes and they are both very good. Their after-sales support is superb too - I had to have one repaired 4 years into warranty and they replaced the scope for a new one since they couldnt fix it. :good:

If possible have a look at a few in your local gun shop. They can vary considerably in weight and size, and its nice to be able to look through them to compare the image quality before you buy (even if ultimately you end up buying it online)...

-Andrew

Edited by Theskyfox

Depend's entirely on what your guna do with it..

In my opinion, which won't match many but there you go, For mainly competitive use you can quite easily spend many hundreds of pounds on an all singing scope, but would you want to use it in the rough.

In the rough you can follow a squirrel around a tree that will be 10m from you 1 second and 30m from you seconds later, if you need to look at the scope to see what range you are now at Mr squirrel is gone again.

If your pest control and hunting you need to know any distance and be able to adjust your poa to suit, and I'm sorry but there's no short way to get to this point but lots and lots of practice.

Well, I will be use it for magpies, crew crows & rabbits, but I would love to be able to extend the range for a bit of long range stuff as well. See Ted Holdover guy on youtube uses the Hawke sidewinder TAC thinks it 4-20 x 42.....they saucy at £379...question is...is it worth it

Is there a cheaper option that will do the same job

Hawke are a good brand. Someone I know put a bog-standard one on his centerfire, and the clicks dialled in perfectly, even at 500 yards. They're much better quality than you expect from the price.

If it's a new rifle, I presume you'd like a new scope. Otherwise for a few hundred quid, you could get a second-hand Leupold, Meopta, or Nikon, or something like that.

Have a look at MTC. They have some good scopes at around the £200 mark, and they have a serious, military look to them. Side parrallax, illuminated reticle, and sniper turrets too. I had a Viper on my S410 and it was lovely.

Well, I will be use it for magpies, crew crows & rabbits, but I would love to be able to extend the range for a bit of long range stuff as well. See Ted Holdover guy on youtube uses the Hawke sidewinder TAC thinks it 4-20 x 42.....they saucy at £379...question is...is it worth it
Is there a cheaper option that will do the same job

Well, stuff like that goes down a storm on the range and you might be the envy of all the other guys who dont get out in the field after quarry much either. Paralax error is worse the bigger you objective lens and higher the mag. Simply put you need to look ask "is it greater or less than 30 yards?" as you look at your quarry and take the shot or leave it be. 20x to shoot a rabbit or crow at up to 40 yards maximum ( only if your a truly great shot) , yep over kill on the mag IMO and a narrow field of view to boot.

Guest topshot_2k

I have a hawke 4-12 x50 and Nikko Sterling same spec both were around £120 and I can't fault either of them for field use, the hawke has also been used on my centre fire with no issue. Make sure you get decent mounts

Scopes have come a long way in the last 10 years-a scope from the 90's costing £200+ can often be outclassed by a sub £100 modern unit. Try as many as you can but remember that biggest is not always best-and the larger scopre require higher mounts which takes the line of sight further away from the barrel-not a good thing on an Airgun when faced with such a loopy trajectory. Whichever scope you decide on make sure you buy the best mounts that you can afford-not an item to skimp on.

Good choice on your Gun, i brought the same this year and love it, as to the scope i put a Nikko Stirling 4-12x50 illuminated mill dot, by no means an expensive scope but its crystal clear and i can hit spent shotgun cartridges with it at 60 yards. The thing with expensive scopes on a sub 12 rifle is that your maximum hunting range will be no more than 40 yards, so yes you may see crystal clear at 100 yards + but do you can not shoot those ranges, and the Nikko is good in low light as well for Air rifles. Enjoy.

Kent has it spot on. I have tried many scopes and quite frankly a 3-9 mag scope will be more than enough and I have never felt the need to shoot over x9 mag. I have a Nikon 3-9x40 with a basic duplex reticle on my day rifle and it is crystal clear, amazing light transmission and very pointable without faffing with parallax issues or illuminated and overly complex reticles.

You will do better to pay for quality glass, and not for bells and whistles or high mags. You will see the quarry much clearer with a decent x6 scope than you will with a equally price x24 scope with IR, sidewheel, rangefinding reticle etc.

Good choice on your Gun, i brought the same this year and love it, as to the scope i put a Nikko Stirling 4-12x50 illuminated mill dot, by no means an expensive scope but its crystal clear and i can hit spent shotgun cartridges with it at 60 yards. The thing with expensive scopes on a sub 12 rifle is that your maximum hunting range will be no more than 40 yards, so yes you may see crystal clear at 100 yards + but do you can not shoot those ranges, and the Nikko is good in low light as well for Air rifles. Enjoy.

Very good point...one thing is that it's not a sub 12.....it's 18....need a FAC for all air rifles in Ireland