Webley & Scott

nicknsd1978

Hi had my first session on my own today after having lessons.....didn't do fantastic but I suppose practice will make perfect. The next step is to get my own gun in the next week or so. Was thinking of a silver pigeon but wonder if spending £1300 plus on my first gun is taking things a little too far. A guy I was shooting with today had a Webley & Scott which made me think about things once I got home. What are people's thoughts? Just been looking at the 900 delux for a fraction of the price of a silver pigeon

I wouldn't for very good reason, for £800 you'll get a good used beretta that will still be worth that in 3 years time, look at use W&S prices.....these days poorly finished guns made in turkey. If you want cheaper look at ATA-Arms its a beretta clone made in turkey for aorund the same money

But i would still goised and try before you buy.

http://www.shootinguk.co.uk/reviews/shotgun/ata-arms-sp-silver

http://www.gunstar.co.uk/ata-arms-12g-shotgun-for-sale-in-lancashire/Shotguns/679086#pua4eebolil4FCiQ.97

http://www.guntrader.co.uk/Guns-For-Sale/Beretta_Shotgun_686-E_For-Sale_140912094209001

Chris Batha "Breaking Clays" book has a lot on the pros and cons of different gun types, barrel lenghts etc. A good investment for anyone starting up. I am still on a fast learning curve.

If you go to a gunshop on a clay ground they will often let you try a secondhand gun before you buy it. Get someone who knows about gunfit with you or a gunsmith from the shop. If the gun isn't a reasonable fit to you you won't shoot your best with it.

You can buy a new W&S at the fraction of the cost of a new Beretta/Browning/Miroku, but when you come to trade in your W&S (if you haven't had to return it for fault rectifying first) you will lose money dramatically. They are simply not as desirable ( for a reason) as the makes I've just outlined, and a good secondhand version of any of those will keep its money simply because they are desirable guns, for a reason.

The link HDAV has provided is a good example of a good, desirable gun at a good price.

Forget about barrel length; you wont miss targets because of barrel length.

A well made gun is a beautiful piece of machinery and often a work of art too. If you have a well made gun that fits you you will be proud of it and want to do your best with it. It doesn't have to cost hundreds of thousands, but it is worth investing in a decent gun so you will get the most enjoyment out of it. If you buy something cheap you could quickly regret it.

If you can wait a while before getting your own gun, the more you learn the better your final choice will be. A good well looked after 2nd hand gun can be a great investment as it doesn't lose much value if you look after it too. These can often be bought for the same or little more than a new cheap quality gun. Hope you get as much enjoyment out of learning to shoot as I am.

• 3 weeks later...

Go to a good gunshop with plenty of choice and feel the guns, I personally don't prefer berettas as they do not feel compfy,

I have always got on with browning miroku and even lanber.

You might feel at home with berettas or similar there's only you knows.

But please forget the names if you can shoot a £50 biakal better than a silver pigeon go with what you can use.

Atb in your search.

Atb delburt0....

For what it's worth I bought a new winchester sx3 last week semi auto really lovely handling gun, never had a winchester semi before but loving it...

Edited by delburt0